She's so angry at me!

(20 Posts)
NorthernRosie Mon 04-Jan-16 16:31:25

My daughter is 6 months and I started weaning her last week with some purees and mashed food mostly.

The first couple of days she seemed OK although she didn't actually swallow much. However, the last few days she has looked positively disgusted at the taste of all food and then gets really angry, bangs her hands and looks at me like I am poisioning her!

She seems keen to grab the spoon and puts it in her mouth but then just hates the taste and pulls the most disgusted face. I've tried lots from carrot to banana.

Is this normal?

CultureSucksDownWords Mon 04-Jan-16 18:31:35

Are you feeding her about an hour after a breastfeed/bottle feed, so she's not too hungry?

What is she like with finger foods - do you get the same reaction?

NorthernRosie Mon 04-Jan-16 19:03:26

Hmmm no I'm finding timing quite hard as in the daytime she tends to feed then have her sleep. I could try and do it when she wakes up

When I gave her a banana today she immediately shoved it in her mouth and chewed. But then came the 'This is the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted' face and she threw it down and refused to pick it up again....

BabyGanoush Mon 04-Jan-16 19:07:17

Spoon mush into her?

Babies are used to feed wuickly (from milk) and don't have brilliant motor skills or teeth to feed selves

I had to spoon in mushed up food very quickly

They managed to feed themselves when they were a bit bigger

Or is this hopelessly old school?

CultureSucksDownWords Mon 04-Jan-16 19:08:20

I would try solids an hour after food if you can, as if she's hungry she may well be wanting milk rather than food and hence getting cross. It might also make her generally a bit more amenable.

NorthernRosie Mon 04-Jan-16 19:13:51

I've been doing mash and purees babyganoush but she just hates the taste and hits the spoon out

culturesucksdownwords I will try that. She was in a bad mood today anyway!

BabyGanoush Mon 04-Jan-16 19:21:06

Maybe she hates the texture more than the taste ?

BabyGanoush Mon 04-Jan-16 19:21:44

I had an angry reflux baby who hated lumps

CultureSucksDownWords Mon 04-Jan-16 19:24:56

BabyGanoush, they don't need teeth to self feed, gums are more than hard enough. And with a little practice, and food cut up in finger length batons or similar, they can pick up food and get it into their mouths from 6 months. I've got a fab picture of my DS at bang on 6 months shoving a broccoli tree in his mouth with a huge grin.

NorthernRosie Mon 04-Jan-16 19:26:35

She can easily pick it up and put it in as with the banana today. She just doesn't like it once it's in there!

HanYOLO Mon 04-Jan-16 19:26:40

My 3 were blw-ers. They were Not Into puree. Also, it doesn't matter much if she hardly eats any, at this point its just about trying it out. I'd try as CultureSuck suggests and offer mush and finger foods when she wakes. Doesn't have to be a conventional meal time.

relishes feelings of relief of not having to clean up after a weaning baby again

GoldPlatedBacon Mon 04-Jan-16 20:35:40

I've just started weaning my dd. She pulls the same faces, loves playing with the spoon but gets bored with food after 5 minutes. She did however open her mouth up and tip her head back today for porridge made with breast milk.

She also seems to be somewhat happy shoving a broccoli floret in her mouth and she tried my pear today and kept going back for more.

NorthernRosie Tue 05-Jan-16 12:27:27

She's giving such mixed signals. She absolutely STARES intently at me eating but then when I offer her a bit she pulls away or if some actually gets in her mouth she pulls the face.

Today I tried yogurt and banana and then a little bit of bread.....

TheOnlyColditz Tue 05-Jan-16 12:30:04

Give her solids about an hour after milk.

CultureSucksDownWords Tue 05-Jan-16 12:33:45

If you can, I would really try not to worry about it. Just keep offering food at whichever mealtimes you've decided, and if she's not that interested then clear away and move on. Ideally give her food to self feed whilst you eat your food at the same time. She'll get the hang of it in the end.

NorthernRosie Tue 05-Jan-16 16:03:11

Thanks for the advice, I think she just might not be ready. Although she's 6 months this week she was 4 weeks early so maybe that's why. She seems to push out with tongue still

Luckystar1 Tue 05-Jan-16 16:10:17

This is completely normal in my (limited!) experience! My DS HATED food when we started weaning. I did blw and hated it and found it really stressful (but I'm now glad I did it, so I'm just contrary).

Keep offering. She will eat some one day and it will go from there. Try not to get stressed....!

Just don't kill yourself making stuff like I did. I used to get extremely pissed off at spending hours coking for it to be rejected!

It does get easier (as with everything eh?!)

NorthernRosie Tue 05-Jan-16 16:50:01

Thanks Luckystar. I'm not the worlds greatest cook at the best of times!

Luckystar1 Tue 05-Jan-16 18:11:57

I love cooking, but having had years of only cooking dinner to going to cooking 3 meals a day was eye opening and horrific.

It's much easier now that he'll eat anything. Just sandwiches, eggs etc.

I would suggest alongside purees, offering like a piece of broccoli and a bit of fruit at each sitting so that she becomes familiar with lifting things for eating. It just means that hopefully, quickly, you can eat your own lunch without feeding her st the same time!

NorthernRosie Wed 06-Jan-16 10:24:30

Today we tried pear and within minutes she was having a screaming fit. I'm really worried I'm starting to make her had bad food associations - do you think I should stop for a while? Just concerned as she's 6 months now...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now