Talk

Advanced search

delayed weaning

(7 Posts)
scrivette Mon 04-Jan-16 09:14:24

My EBF baby will be 26 weeks at the end of the week. I am planning on BLW like I did for DS1.

DS1 was definitely ready for weaning but DS2 hasn't made a grab for food yet and isn't sitting up by himself either and I don't feel that he is ready yet.

He is a large baby, gaining weight and so i don't have any concerns about his milk intake. Has anyone delayed weaning until the baby is sitting up independently?

CultureSucksDownWords Mon 04-Jan-16 11:30:04

Depends what you mean by sitting up independently. They have to be able to sit in a highchair (with suitable support if needed, e.g. the blow up cushion that comes with the Ikea Antilop high chair), without slumping forwards or sideways for the length of a typical meal.

I started at just before 6 months, and my DS could sit with support, but was still a bit wobbly on the floor with no support for a few weeks after that.

scrivette Tue 05-Jan-16 11:51:05

I hadn't thought about the blow up cushion as I have the Antelop from Ikea. He can sit up with support so that will be perfect, thank you.

PaulDirac Tue 05-Jan-16 11:54:00

Dd had no interest at 6 months, I tried once and left it until she was 7 months. I tried maybe once or twice while she was 7 months but she didn't really get interested until 8 months. I was pretty relaxed about it. Dd was sitting up at 6 months but didn't reach for food or open her mouth when I tried to spoon feed.

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Sun 17-Jan-16 16:46:53

Not yet but my ds is 6 months in two weeks and if he's not moves forward with sitting up (he currently just folds in half!) I'm going to delay weaning. He was a few weeks early but has put on lots of weigh ebf so I'm not at all worried about that and anyway, I think milk has more calories than food. If he's still not sitting up at 6.5 months I think I'll do a couple of weeks of purée and then do more blw stuff by 7 months as my understanding is that blw can be more risky than purées if they're not sitting up well yet. But I'm still really confused about all this stuff!

Ughnotagain Sun 17-Jan-16 16:49:25

Lorelai why not just hold back another couple of weeks, skip purées and go straight to blw? If he's ready for food he'll eat; if not then surely there's no real benefit to shovelling purée in.

Focusfocus Sun 17-Jan-16 20:04:40

Not sure traditional weaning involves "shovelling" purées in smile

Spoon feeding and purées are a fine introduction to foods as is letting baby feed non puréed food themselves from get go.

Give it a couple of weeks and start with your chosen foods again? May find some interest then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now