Talk

Advanced search

Am I overthinking this?!

(7 Posts)
Archer26 Wed 02-Dec-15 20:47:01

I have a 7 month old DS and although we tried purées it didn't seem a hit so since he turned 6 months we've done blw.

It seems to be going ok but I am constantly doubting myself and wondering if he is getting anything out of it both nutritionally and learning good habits.

I tend to give him one meal a day, usually lunch or dinner and this often consists of the following;

Cucumber
Red pepper
Carrots
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Sticky rice
Mango
Rice cakes
Bread with dairylea on it.

Obviously not all together/at same time! Also although he eats bits a lot of it seems to end up on the floor!

I'm worried these seem quite basic foods and he isn't having a 'meal' as such. Me and my DH eat a lot of chillies/ spaghetti bolognese and I'd like DS to try this too but don't know where to start. Do I spoon feed him it or can I put bits of in a bowl and let him go crazy??

He's currently having 4-5 7oz bottles a day and I'm worried he should be starting to reduce these and have more food.

Does this sound about right or am I missing something glaringly obvious?

Ps. I may be a bit PFB blush

imwithspud Wed 02-Dec-15 23:05:55

Spaghetti bolognese was my eldest daughters second meal. We literally plonked a bit on her tray and let her explore. It was messy but she enjoyed herself.

CultureSucksDownWords Wed 02-Dec-15 23:08:59

Spag Bol is perfect, and very entertaining to watch them wrestle with. I would give normal family meals (reduce the salt and chilli) and let him get messy.

Archer26 Wed 02-Dec-15 23:19:14

Thanks guys. He's great with finger foods like mentioned above but I was worried I was missing a trick with not giving him 'wetter' foods. Spag Bol for tea then tomorrow. Cleaning supplies at the ready!

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 02-Dec-15 23:27:14

I did BLW with my DS who's now 3. The pp are right, give him exactly what you have. He probably won't eat much at first but he doesn't need to because he'll have all the calories from milk. He especially loved big chunky pasta shapes like cannelloni

Vinorosso74 Thu 03-Dec-15 21:27:59

Go for it. Roast dinners are a good one to try too though without the gravy for baby.

lullaby23 Mon 07-Dec-15 09:02:52

I have given 7mo DS bolognese with giant fusilli rather than spaghetti as bits of the sauce cling to it and easier to grab, however I'm sure he'd have a good go at spag too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now