Talk

Advanced search

Early weaning doubts

(6 Posts)
Caillou Mon 23-Nov-15 20:30:34

I started weaning my daughter nearly 2 weeks ago after seeing the health visitor.

I went to the health visitor for advice on when and how to wean,
She asked me how many weeks my dd was and as I didn't know (I stopped counting in weeks a little while back) she counted for me and said that she is 25 weeks so I should start now, which I did on the same day,

Now 2 weeks later, I have realised (thanks to an elc email) that actually she is not 27 weeks (as counted by the health visitor (25+2)) but 22 weeks (23 at the end of the week).

She has been quite constipated since we started weaning and I am afraid that trusting the health visitor I started way too early and it might not be good for dd. She didn't pass any stools for 7 days after I started weaning, and she only went after I gave her diluted orange juice (as advised by the dr) and again today she went but it is very thick and dry looking (tmi) paste and not a big amount at all.

I am not sure if I should stop her solids (she has veggies once a day) right now,
She has never been very good at passing stools since she is born, but it seems that it is getting worst since starting the solids.

Sorry for that essay, any advice would be much appreciated

dementedpixie Mon 23-Nov-15 20:40:42

No harm in stopping and restarting again in a few weeks. Did you give extra water alongside the food?

winchester1 Mon 23-Nov-15 20:44:05

Id prob carryon but reduce the amount and give her water with it so she has a more gentle start with it all.

Raxacoricofallapatorius Mon 23-Nov-15 20:47:31

There's no harm with stopping for a while if she's not ready.

The exact weeks on the calendar are not as relevant as the actual signs she's ready to have solids. Can she sit up? Pick up objects and accurately put them to her mouth. Does she chew well, move food around her mouth and swallow? Has she lost her tongue thrust reflex?

Caillou Mon 23-Nov-15 22:22:33

I give her water when she has food, I am giving her puréed food (which wasn't advised by the health visitor as she was "old enough" for baby led)

She can't sit by herself without any support, I put her in a bumbo to have her food, she will grab things and put them in her mouth,

She is still breastfeeding so she hasn't lost the suckle reflex.

I think I might take her to the gp tomorrow with regards to the constipation and ask him what I should do.

FannyTheChampionOfTheWorld Tue 24-Nov-15 13:31:01

At 22 weeks, she could easily not be ready yet. No harm in stopping for a bit. A month is a long time at that age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now