Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

breakfast ideas for a 6 month old.

(21 Posts)
Jelly101 Thu 05-Nov-15 08:46:50

My DS is usually pretty good with weaning. He will usually eat whatever we give him. However we just can't seem to find anything that he will eat for breakfast. Any ideas?

nephrofox Thu 05-Nov-15 08:49:00

Mine has had porridge, weetabix, Greek yoghurt, crumpet

Artandco Thu 05-Nov-15 08:50:16

Omelette
Avocado
Banana
Porridge
Mushrooms
Fish
Melon
Greek yogurt
Almond pancake ( ground almonds, milk and egg)

Fugghetaboutit Thu 05-Nov-15 08:51:14

What have you tried? Has he just started weaning?

I used to make ds pancakes with raisins/banana in. Omelette cut in strips to hold. Porridge overcooked and balled so he could grab.

Jelly101 Thu 05-Nov-15 08:57:59

Weaning for about 2/3 weeks. I've tried weetabix, porridge, baby porridge and omelette. He does eat toast but everything else we've tried so far breakfast wise he just won't eat. Which is odd, as for Lunch and dinner we usually give him bits of whatever we have and he doesn't have a problem with this at all.

EsmesBees Thu 05-Nov-15 09:00:23

My baby took a while to get interested in breakfast when we started weaning. I found waiting an hour after the first feed helped. She's 8 months now and loves porridge, crumpets, yogurt, fruit etc.

MiniLop Thu 05-Nov-15 09:00:26

Fruit
Pancakes
Eggy bread
Bite size shredded wheat with plain yogurt or whole milk

lornathewizzard Thu 05-Nov-15 09:01:00

My DD has a waffle and a banana, or toast and philadelphia. Fruit and yoghurt seems like a good idea too

lornathewizzard Thu 05-Nov-15 09:02:22

I would also say we only did one meal a day for the first few months, then upped it around 8months

Jelly101 Thu 05-Nov-15 09:07:17

I'm trying to let him feed himself when it comes to lunch and dinner, so he doesn't really eat much of that. He does take an interest though, and he will eat bits and bring food to his mouth, before he starts to play with it. It's just breakfast that seems to be the problem.

I try and time it so that I know he's hungry, but he's not overly hungry, but at the minute he doesn't really have an interest in anything. I'll keep persevering though, thank you for your suggestions. I'll definitely be trying some of them!

EsmesBees Thu 05-Nov-15 09:21:13

He'll get there. I'm not sure they really associate food with hunger at this point. It's mainly about the exploration.

Fugghetaboutit Thu 05-Nov-15 09:29:15

At 6 months, milk is his main food and solids are just for trying and getting them into it, not for filling them up. At about 1yrs you do that. Just have fun with it for now

NerrSnerr Thu 05-Nov-15 09:59:21

Mine was only having one meal at 6 months so I wouldn't worry. She didn't manage 3 meals until about 10 months (she just wasn't bothered). At 14 months she eats a normal amount.

redexpat Thu 05-Nov-15 10:37:57

I've been using an australian website called mylovelylittlelunchbox. Today I will be baking oat and cranberry bars for DDs breakfast. DS always had (still does) porridge iwth mashed banana, but DD wont take anything from a spoon.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Thu 05-Nov-15 12:32:39

I found my dcs weren't really hungry for breakfast for quite some time after we started weaning - maybe around 8mo? They had a big milk feed for breakfast and were quite happy with that. If he doesn't seem that hungry I'd leave it a while and then try again.

Shreddies briefly soaked in milk (pour the excess milk off) make quite a good breakfast finger food.

Jelly101 Thu 05-Nov-15 12:50:00

Thank you for all your suggestions grin

Fugghetaboutit Thu 05-Nov-15 14:03:56

Yes I agree, they had a big milk feed so lunch was always better to try new foods

MrsFrankRicard Thu 05-Nov-15 15:39:17

DS2 is 7mo and doesn't like baby porridge etc so he has yoghurt and some fruit, sometimes toast.

Glitterspy Thu 05-Nov-15 20:09:52

Porridge fingers - equal quantities of porridge oats and milk with a scattering of whatever fruit you have to hand (mashed banana, raisins, grated apple, freezer berries etc), microwaved in the bottom of a plastic lunchbox so it pops out in a nice rectangular shape, easy to cut into 'fingers' for grabbing. I think DD lived on these for breakfast for about 6 months after weaning!

SmallestInTheClass Thu 05-Nov-15 20:38:51

Porridge fingers (with fruit in) also a favourite here. Also full fat plain yoghurt stirred into rice krispies or cheerios. I know, there is salt and sugar in them, but a large spoonful is fine for little ones. My DD ate this with her fingers, messy but fun if you have time to clean up afterwards. Or kids mini rice cakes (in the baby aisle), you can get apple, banana and some other flavours.

marshmallowpies Thu 05-Nov-15 22:09:56

I mix a couple of teaspoons of baby porridge (the organix one with no added salt or sugar) with stewed apple and yoghurt. My secret tip is putting cinnamon in the stewed apple to make up for not adding sugar - takes the edge off the acidity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now