Talk

Advanced search

How much formula for 10 month old / still breastfed am & pm

(10 Posts)
stowbeau Mon 17-Aug-15 09:12:02

I'm going back to work in a few weeks and wanted to start replacing the 3 current day time feeds with a bottle, then keep the pre bed & morning breast feeds.

Could anyone suggest how much I should be aiming for dd to drink at her mid morning, lunchtime & afternoon feeds with formula? (She currently only feeds for about 5 mins at each of these).

Thanks!

dementedpixie Mon 17-Aug-15 09:23:36

At 10/11 months my 2 had only 2 feeds which were in the morning and bedtime. I am not sure you would need 3 other formula feeds plus the 2 breastfeeds. What about giving a snack and drink of water instead?

3littlefrogs Mon 17-Aug-15 09:34:01

I don't think a 10 month old needs formula if they are having 2 breast feeds a day. Certainly not 3 feeds.

My DC were munching their way through 3 meals a day with water to drink by the time they were 11 months.

However, this was over 20 years ago so I stand to be corrected.

Ds2 gave up breast feeding completely at 11 months. (An early walker, he didn't stay still long enough to feed and helped himself to food off other people's plates if he thought there wasn't enough on his own).

3littlefrogs Mon 17-Aug-15 09:36:04

Also - if you drop the day time breast feeds now you won't have a problem with engorgement during the day at work.

westcountrywoman Mon 17-Aug-15 09:49:44

A weaned 10 month old doesn't need 5 milk feeds a day. I'd suggest a small beaker of cows' milk with mid-morning / afternoon snacks, and water with meals. I know official advise is not to use cows' milk as a feed until 12 months but as a drink alongside snacks where a child is still having breastfeeds twice a day it's fine.
I really wouldn't bother introducing formula at 10 months.

lornathewizzard Mon 17-Aug-15 09:56:23

I would say it depends how much they are eating food wise, but would echo others in that only morning and before bed would be perfectly usual at this age. Obv not for every baby but introducing more actual food would seem preferable at this age as opposed to formula for a few months.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Mon 17-Aug-15 10:15:31

My 10 month dd has an am bf feed, a small mid am bf, an 8oz mid pm ff and a bed time bf.

I reckon I could miss the mid am bf though if I bought lunch forward a bit.

mrsnec Mon 17-Aug-15 10:17:37

My 10 month old dd is formula fed. She has 3 X 6oz of milk per day as well as 3 meals and other fluids.

I will be reducing that and going on to cows milk at 12 months. That is a tough one though I don't know if I could bf if I'd introduce formula for such a short space of time I'm kind of agreeing with the cows milk early idea. Dd is already having it on cereal and eating cheese and yoghurt so I can't see her having a problem with cows milk.

squizita Wed 19-Aug-15 14:54:59

Current thinking is not to cut down too much on milk till 10 month or later.
It depends on how much they eat, especially dairy.
I left enough for 12-14 oz (half the milk recommended for 7-12 months on the pack or pumping website as I left a mixture) but my dd would sometimes take it all, sometimes less.

Had I left her with none "because" she was 10 months she would have lost weight and been well under the nhs recommendations for total dairy.

squizita Wed 19-Aug-15 15:00:15

...a few PP don't realise there's weaned and weaned. Many 10 month olds aren't eating enough calories to cut out all milk. Others cut down by taking smaller feeds but at their usual times.

Several ladies at a group I help with cut back milk too early and had to re introduce it as their baby simply wasn't eating enough calories as they couldn't yet handle it all from solids.
Look up the nhs advice re milk amounts. That's why they say no cows milk ... kids that age are supposed to drink rather a lot!
More than many would imagine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now