Talk

Advanced search

Bowel moments - what's normal when weaning?

(10 Posts)
AnxiousAggie Sun 16-Aug-15 07:04:34

Ds is 7 months so we haven't been weaning for long. For the first 6 months of his life his poos were normal yellow and runny and were expelled without effort grin Now they have thickened up, as expected, and ds seems to concentrate and push when getting them out. They are really fairly thick in consistency (they don't move when you tip the nappy iykwim) but they're not rabbit droppings. Does this sound normal? I'm paranoid about constipation. He only goes every couple of days too.

I don't give him any water but he's still bf on demand. Should he also be having water?

It's been so long since i had my last baby that I've forgotten all of this!

Pointlessfan Sun 16-Aug-15 07:25:31

I think that sounds ok. We started giving DD water with food at that point, so she could learn to use a cup as much as anything - maybe that would help?

Notfastjustfurious Sun 16-Aug-15 07:39:55

That sounds ok to me. My dd was ebf so pooed easily and frequently until weaning when it thickened and required more effort, it really annoyed her to start with as she wasn't used to it but she was never constipated. I also gave water in a sippy cup but wouldn't say she actually drank much til about 1yo. As long as baby is getting fruit and vegetables along with bf should be fine.

AnxiousAggie Sun 16-Aug-15 08:43:04

Thanks. He does eat vegetables and fruit but he seems favour the meat that's on offer so i was getting concerned about the iron. I'll perhaps give him a veggie diet for a while and I'll start offering water with his meals.

squizita Sun 16-Aug-15 12:15:06

Sounds ok.
I bf and offer a sippy cup of water with meals or if it's boiling out but dd won't want a full milk feed. I just bf at home.

Even weaned dd doesn't poo every day but the gp said that's fine. It's the texture that is important ie it shouldn't be painfully hard.

AnxiousAggie Sun 16-Aug-15 16:25:01

That's good to know then. His poos don't seem painfully hard just very thick. A bit like playdoh perhaps! It's good to know that some food is actually going in!

I can always find something to worry about grin

AnxiousAggie Sun 16-Aug-15 16:26:40

Does the water need to be cool boiled at this stage or is straight from the tap fine?

Notfastjustfurious Sun 16-Aug-15 16:32:47

I did cooled boiled til dd was 1 not sure if it was completely necessary though.

Bohemond Sun 16-Aug-15 16:33:35

My DS who has just started having a bit of food at 7 months has been pooing rocks for a week. He got the last lot out this morning and is like a different baby!

squizita Sun 16-Aug-15 19:33:31

After 6 months tap water is fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now