Talk

Advanced search

5.5 months - ready to BLW?

(6 Posts)
Lookslikerain Fri 14-Aug-15 21:25:15

DS is 5 and a half months. Two more weeks until the full 26 weeks but he's raring to go on solids, and we're definitely going down the BLW route. He is third DC, and the other 2 weren't this interested at this age! He can sit unaided, pick things up and get them in his mouth, tongue thrust gone.

For the last week, he has sat in the high chair at mealtimes and played with some food; cucumber sticks, roast pepper, banana, celery and avocado. Some has definitely gone in as the 'evidence' is there at the other end, iykwim smile.

So do you think he sounds ready to keep going with BLW or should I back off for another 2 weeks? And if he is good to keep going, is it still fruit/veg only, no meat, bread, dairy etc until the magical 6 months? Sorry, it's a bit of a silly question but just needing some reassurance. We weaned DS1 in the messy, purée way, and DD was over 6 months before she was interested in food.

SaulGood Fri 14-Aug-15 21:29:27

Sounds like you've already started. smile Like you say, if he's picking it up, chewing and swallowing then he's probably ready. My DS was similarly ready at 23/24 weeks but he then developed double pneumonia and was in hospital until 6 months so just not interested in food.

I'd probably carry on just including him in meal times, offer sticks of fruit and veg for a few days and see how you get on. I probably wouldn't worry about bread, dairy etc myself but there's no harm in waiting a couple of weeks to allay any worries.

MrsAukerman Sat 15-Aug-15 13:54:48

You have started! Just carry on. No need to exclude anything other than the usual honey, whole nuts etc.

cantmakecarrotcake Sat 15-Aug-15 21:29:32

Carry on as you are. There's no rush. Having said that we were on holiday when I started weaning dd2 at about 5.5mo and I definitely remember her chewing on sandwich crusts (and definitely not rich tea biscuitswink ) before 6mo.

You mention the 'messy puree' approach. BLW is definitely messier!!!

Lookslikerain Mon 17-Aug-15 05:45:31

Thanks for your replies. We've continued with offering fruit/veg this weekend, and he is keen. He becomes very excited when he sees the food! However, he is a gagger, and I have to stop myself from wanting to grab the food back from him or hook it back out his mouth! I think we'll just take it slowly for the next couple of weeks, and hopefully the gagging might lessen as he approaches the 6 month mark.

MrsAukerman Mon 17-Aug-15 07:16:56

Gagging is good. I tell ds well done for sorting it out! Much better that they know how to manipulate the food round the mouth safely rather than choke.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now