Talk

Advanced search

Some help needed with weaning please

(5 Posts)
honeydue3 Tue 11-Aug-15 22:21:30

Hi,
I started weaning at what I thought was 5 1/2 months but as I went with weeks instead of calendar months it was only 5 months (22 weeks) I panicked and stopped after a few days and started again at 24 weeks (being this week). I know its probably an over-reaction but with the new rules of not weaning until 6 months this has made me paranoid and I also realised my DD was taking less milk!
So far she has liked all the first tastes I have given her and the portions are more like 2 cubes as she seems hungrier.

she was 24 weeks on Sunday
Is feeding her at lunchtime enough or should I also feed her at breakfast considering she is 2 weeks under 6 months? and how many ice cubes should she be eating?

When is the best time to introduce the third meal and what about meat??

Thanks,
Paranoid Mummy

honeydue3 Wed 12-Aug-15 11:23:43

Ooops, didn't mean to post 3 times blush

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 12-Aug-15 15:49:55

Please don't panic about weaning early, as long as you try to stick to fruit and veg, she will be fine. Having said that my did stole and scoffed a ham sandwich at 23 weeks smile

Once a day is fine at this age. The current advice is to offer babies usual milk roughly an hour before offering any solids so that she fills up on the milk. The solids are more about exploring taste and texture than filling them up at this age. It's also recommended to move to 3 meals between 8 and 9 months so there is no rush to introduce a second or third meal yet. As weaning can be so time consuming, I'd leave it as long as possible smile

Have you tried here with any finger foods yet?

honeydue3 Wed 12-Aug-15 22:55:31

Thanks for reply!
I haven't tried Her on finger foods yet as I'm worried she could choke! Is it not too early?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 13-Aug-15 19:45:34

Not too young at all. When babies were weaned at 4 months, they'd be on finger foods by the age of 6 months.

She may gag, but that is totally different from choking and she is just as likely to choke on purées as on finger food.

If you are worried, have you thought of doing a Paed First Aid course?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now