Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

help with feeding 4 month old!

(10 Posts)
zannary Sun 09-Aug-15 08:54:06

dd is 4 months old today. she was ebf until 3 months then switched to formula where we discovered she had cows milk allergy. she has been on a prescription formula since and is much better. The last week she hasn't been interested in the milk and I struggle to get her to take more than 3 or 4 floz. She's not crying out of hunger she's just not bothered. I'm wondering if now is the time I should start introducing baby rice and porridge?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 09-Aug-15 17:50:26

Please don't introduce either of those things. They won't have the same calories and nutritional value as the milk and will be effectively putting her on a reduced calorie diet.

Can I just ask which milk she is on? If it's neocate I think some parents put vanilla essence in the milk to make it a little more appettising.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 09-Aug-15 17:54:17

Have you read the MN weaning information too? It's very good smile

addictedtosugar Sun 09-Aug-15 18:14:17

16 ish weeks is classic growth spurt time, so you may well have moved onto the prescription formula as she was going through a period of extra milk requirements.
If she is happy, developing and producing wet and dirty nappies, I'd just keep offering milk.
Weaning is very messy. I'd hold off as long as you can, unless you've got a dog who needs feeding up grin

zannary Mon 10-Aug-15 14:09:52

Thank you....especially for that link...I believed we could introduce the porridge as it says 4 months on the packet...I'll be staying away from it and keeping the milk until she's 6 months.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 10-Aug-15 20:12:32

The labelling can be so misleading can't it? Don't forget they the companies are always more interested in their profit, even if it's to the detriment of your child's health.

zannary Mon 10-Aug-15 20:45:06

Can I give her this at 6 months, only I got a couple of boxes or should I just bin it? I'm very keen to make her food rather than buying in jars.

bakingmad83 Tue 11-Aug-15 12:48:58

Totally agree with previous posters, but some baby cereals that call themselves porridge are just based on rice or other gluten free cereals at the 4 month stage, so I'd check the ingredients on the packs if you did decide to give a little earlier than 6 months. Otas, wheat and other cereals that contain gluten like barley and rye are fine from 6 months, but just giving plain Ready Brek, Weetabix or the supermarket versions (both are low in sugar and salt) are fine rather than paying over the odds for special baby cereals

bakingmad83 Tue 11-Aug-15 12:56:56

No need to bin though.

Sure she'll love your homemade meals smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 11-Aug-15 16:23:19

Think you are right to avoid processed baby food when you can, have a read of this article which appeared in the Guardian. There is no need to spend hours cooking especially for her though, from experience that just makes you miserable when they refuse it or chuck it on the floor.

At 6 months she will be fine with puréed food or finger food. So, as long as you avoid too much sugar or salt, your food is will be fine for her. If you are having spaghetti Bol for tea or an omelette for lunch, just offer her a bit smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now