Talk

Advanced search

Weaning advice needed!

(5 Posts)
kitty1989 Mon 03-Aug-15 15:36:58

My DD is 21 weeks so I'm starting to think about weaning for the future. At the moment she's ebf, not in any sort of routine really (fed every 3/4 hrs during the day & now wakes every 2 hours at night grr). She can sit up aided, hold her head up well, watches us when we eat & grabs anything and everything to put in her mouth so I think she may nearly be ready to start experimenting.
Basically what are the pros & cons of spoon feeding & BLW as I haven't decided which route to take (maybe a combo of the two?) What food should I start her off on, should I sit her in her highchair so she gets used to it??

Thanks in advance from a befuddled ftm!

CultureSucksDownWords Mon 03-Aug-15 15:59:28

See if you can get the BLW book (by Gill Rapley) from your library and have a read. It's very helpful for getting a good intro to the idea of BLW. I haven't got any experience of spoon feeding so I can't answer about that.

I found BLW to be easy, enjoyable and a good start to solids for my DS. He quickly got the hang of self feeding and is still an unfussy and good eater now at 3yrs old. He also learnt how to use a spoon and fork quite early on, and is really good with cutlery now. (For al I know, the same may have been true if I'd spoon fed him).

You can also eat at the same time as your child, and eat the same/similar food. It can be messy, but that can be managed.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 03-Aug-15 17:35:34

Some of the things you say she can do are great but things like watching you eat are not a sign. She probably watches you put make up on and she's not ready for that yet either smile

In the bad old days when we used to wean much younger, babies had to be spoon fed purees as they were too immature. Once they reached 26 weeks most could handle finger foods to so offering purées and finger foods at this age is just called weaning smile

It is totally up to you which you do. I've weaned one a long time ago on purées and a total spoon refuser on finger foods.

Waiting and doing blw is by far the easiest.

Have you read the MN weaning information? Kellymom has some very good information on being and starting to offer complimentary foods here.

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy this new phase smile

kitty1989 Tue 04-Aug-15 10:21:02

Thanks for your replies

I'm definitely leaving it until at least 26w - daft question now - she was 3w early, does that make any difference on when we start?
I'm leaning towards BLW, whats the best thing to start her on? I remember a friend saying butternut squash was fab for babies.. feel so clueless!

CultureSucksDownWords Tue 04-Aug-15 10:30:53

I wouldn't necessarily worry about her being 3 weeks early - as long as by around 26 weeks she can sit up well etc.

I gave steamed veg as first foods, roast butternut squash fingers would be good too. As my DS was my PFB I spent probably a bit too long cooking separate things for him, if I did it again I would just give suitable bits from my food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now