Talk

Advanced search

egg white and other allergens

(6 Posts)
Hubnut Tue 28-Jul-15 19:01:31

I'm confused about whether my nine month old can have egg white. Some sources seem to say it's an allergen so just give yolk, yet scrambled eggs seems to be a popular baby recipe.

Can I give all of a boiled egg (chopped of course?).

Is the idea to introduce potential allergens gradually or are you supposed to wait till a certain age? I gave strawberry without realising that is an allergen, but it got thrown on the floor anyway (fruit dodger like mummy).

Thanks!

CultureSucksDownWords Tue 28-Jul-15 19:19:40

My understanding is that you only need to worry about it if you have a close family history of allergy. If not, then all foods (apart from honey) can be given from 6 months [avoiding obvious choking risks like whole nuts].

So I would give a boiled egg without any concern.

squizita Tue 28-Jul-15 19:57:10

I was advised by my GP to give allergens 3 days apart from 6 months. There are allergies in my family so this was the "by the book" cautious approach.

Online there are loads of weird planners from the USA. They freak me out utterly- and seem exclusively connected to their medicalised culture of pregnancy and birth.
There are also some 'nutrition experts' (cagey about actual qualifications) who prey on mums in well off areas, flogging weaning plans.

After 6 months, give everything but space known allergens (egg, gluten, peanut butter/nut butter, cow milk if bf) 3 days apart.

squizita Tue 28-Jul-15 19:58:11

...of course if the child is well for the 3 days you then give it whenever you like.

Hubnut Tue 28-Jul-15 20:51:51

That's really useful thanks. I'm going to give cow's milk on cereal tomorrow so will space it out.

PearHead Mon 10-Aug-15 20:39:11

I understand it's absolutely fine if you don't have a family history of allergies (including hayfever, asthma, and eczema - people often forget these).

Just for info, if you want to play it safe, you could give her 'baked egg' first (i.e. biscuits/cakes containing egg and baked at a high temperature). These are less allergenic than boiled/fried/scrambled egg/omelette/pancake (which are in turn less allergenic than raw egg!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now