Talk

Advanced search

7mo refusing solids and getting upset

(18 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Penguin13 Thu 23-Jul-15 21:54:09

Hoping for some wise opinions on what might be going on. I started introducing solids for DD 1 week shy of 6 months, gradually working up to three feeds a day. This has been mostly purees with a few bits of finger food thrown in. We have been successfully adding in a few lumper textures like scrambled egg and porridge too. On the whole DD has taken to solids well and seems to enjoy them.

Recently there have been a few occasions where DD has refused to eat any of the solids I have offered. When this happens I don't force the issue and if she really isn't interested just offer something at the next meal time. The last couple of days though she has eaten breakfast fine but has point blank refused lunch and dinner. She has also got really upset and cried when sat in her swing to eat (i often feed her in it as there is a good upright position and she is usually more relaxed than in her high chair) I have tried sitting her on my knee too but to no avail.

She is teething at the moment so I wondered if that could be the cause of the upset but found it curious that she was fine with breakfast just not lunch or tea.

I decided to try letting DD feed herself at tea time and although she rejected the spoon and still cried in the swing, when I sat her on a vinyl splash-mat and let her at the bowl with her hands she contentedly munched away although it was hard to know how much actually went in as it was liberally smeared everywhere! I am happy for DD to eat with her hands if she wants to but not sitting her in a chair to eat is not very practical not to mention the fact that she needed an entire outfit change and a bath by the time she was done!

Any suggestions as to how to help DD get comfortable again with sitting in a chair to eat? Do I just keep trying?

If your DC refused meals when weaning did you just give up and try again next time? If she tasted the food and then refused I might think she just wasn't keen on what was being offered but this was full on batting the spoon away before it even got near her mouth and it's happened with food she has happily gobbled down before.

Am I over thinking this? If she hadn't got so upset I might not be worried but I don't want to inadvertently put DD off solid food.

Penguin13 Fri 24-Jul-15 09:27:18

Bump.

knittingbee Fri 24-Jul-15 09:35:46

She is still v small. I don't think either of my kids were on three meals a day at 7mo (and at 4yo and 14mo, they're both now voracious eaters!). Please don't worry about 'ruining solids' for her, but equally it's fine to take a step back if she wants. At this stage - and I think until they're a year old - babies are still getting the foundation of their nutrients from milk, so as long as she's still drinking plenty, she'll be fine.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 24-Jul-15 10:20:10

Agree with pp. Three meals a day is a lot and it could be that she's just not that hungry. The current NHS recommendation is to move onto offering solids 3 times a day between 8 and 9 months.

If she's fine with breakfast, could you just go with that for a few days and forget about the other meals? There's no rush to fill her up with solids yet. At this age food is more about exploring texture and taste and any solids should be offered roughly an hour after her usual milk feed.

Offering is exactly what it is too. Your job is to provide small bits of suitable food, her job is to eat, or not eat it. That's upto her smile

Could you try sitting her in the swing and not giving her anything to eat in it for a few days, maybe sing songs with her? Same with the highchair. I'd bring it so that you can see her whilst you are washing up or cooking but give her something to play with, like plastic cups, edible paint or one of her toys but don't offer food.

If she's feeding a teething gel like Dentinox might help too smile

Penguin13 Fri 24-Jul-15 11:11:17

Thanks both. Reassuring to have my suspicions that I just need to back off a bit confirmed and great suggestion re the swing and high chair too.

PlumFairy2014 Fri 24-Jul-15 14:15:57

Just to add to the grand advice already here, my DD did exactly the same. Took really well to eating then would only have snippets, it passed after a few days.

She is in a spoon strike at current. I've been getting creative with the finger food! It is tricky to tell how much she eats (unless I gather the remains...) but she is growing fine and as people have said bf or ff still provides all the essentials.

PlumFairy2014 Fri 24-Jul-15 14:17:03

(She's 9 months now)

Penguin13 Fri 24-Jul-15 14:50:20

Thanks plum. Gave her some finger food for lunch which she enjoyed although I wasn't quick enough to stop her dumping 80% of it straight on the floor! I suppose she was just cutting out the faff of playing with it first grin

PlumFairy2014 Fri 24-Jul-15 19:39:07

Hehe! Yeah... Little one sometimes looks down now and gets upset it's on the floor. Cucumber just needs a rinse though.

Noodledoodledoo Sat 25-Jul-15 09:15:14

I had a spoon refuser so either fed her by hand or let her do it. She is now 10 months generally eats well but still only certain things allowed on a spoon!

I have coverall bibs and only put a couple of bits in front of her on the table at a time, reduces the amount on the floor and if I put too much in front it seems to overwhelm her and she either flings it all everywhere or tries to get it all in her mouth!

After 2 weeks of purees I gave up and just did finger foods and she seemed happier.

Penguin13 Sat 25-Jul-15 13:41:35

Plum had we been at home I would definitely have invoked the five second rule but as we were out the floor was pretty dirty so thought I'd best not and in no way because I have different standards depending on who is watching blush

Doling out food gradually is a fab idea Noodle. Sometimes you just need someone to point out the obvious solution! I do use coverall bibs but DD consistently amazes me with the amount of food she manages to get past these waterproof defences! hmm

Littlef00t Sat 25-Jul-15 14:04:20

I use a bib with arms plus a tea towel round her waist, no where for the food to go. Also a plastic tablecloth on the floor so things can be passed back.

Noodledoodledoo Sat 25-Jul-15 14:31:36

I started the bit at a time as I hate wasted food and was getting annoyed that things I had taken a while to make were just being chucked on the floor or just wasted.

I also have different standards for recycling food - I know how clean my floor is if we are out once its gone over its ditched!

When mine was smaller I put a normal bib under the coverall as the top seemed to be a great place for things to sneak past - and have been known to strip to nappy underneath the bib!!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 26-Jul-15 09:01:40

How are you getting on now penguin?

Penguin13 Sun 26-Jul-15 09:15:42

Pretty good Jilted thanks for asking. She's not eating all that much but have been doing more finger food which she's enjoying more I think and crucially am not stressing about it. I do find I need to be a bit more creative trying to think of finger foods and I feel like she's getting less of a variety but I guess she'll get there eventually. Thanks for all the tips everyone.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 26-Jul-15 09:30:11

Our dad was a total spoon refuser. When I was stuck for inspiration I borrowed this book from our library, but basically anything can be a finger food. Dd had a roast dinner 2 weeks into weaning smile

IonaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 26-Jul-15 16:01:23

Afternoon all. Hope no one minds but we're going to move this over to our weaning topic in a moment, so other parents can find all these useful tips easily.

Penguin13 Sun 26-Jul-15 16:16:25

Oh whoops. Somehow failed to realise that there was a specific weaning topic blush Move away!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now