Talk

Advanced search

6 month old not ready to wean but drinking too much formula

(7 Posts)
purplemurple1 Fri 17-Jul-15 13:27:25

My 6 month old still has tounge thrust, doesn't bring toys to her mouth, doens't chew if you put bits in her mouth.
She is taking around 45 to 50oz a day in formula which (I think) is more than they should have because of sodium in it.

So I'm not sure what to do, purees, more water, (she already has 3-4oz of water a day), something else?

I'm not in the UK and the village nurse is useless and anyway is on a months holiday. I guess I could call the hospital and ask them but that seems a bit ott.

She's my second her brother was also a big eater but was ready to wean at 5 months.

dementedpixie Fri 17-Jul-15 13:30:25

I don't know if they can take too much formula so I wouldn't worry about the amount.

dementedpixie Fri 17-Jul-15 13:31:09

Could you offer soft finger foods to see if she prefers feeding herself?

Buglife Fri 17-Jul-15 18:11:01

I don't think there is 'too much' formula. My DS was on nearly 50oz a day just before weaning, he's nearly 91st centile and now he's eating has a massive appetite for food as well. They are all different and average or recomended amounts obviously don't apply to every child. I tried him with soft finger foods from just before 6 months and for the first month he barely ate any, things like slightly firm porridge, soft veg sticks, some cheese and toast. This BLW approache meant he picked up and ate what he wanted. insont think there's a problem with continuing with milk for a few weeks of she can't manage food, but also remember that they still take large amounts of milk in early weanung too so you could ease it in with one attempt at solids a day. But a baby hungry for milk isn't a bad thing, I've never heard anything about 'too much' formula.

Perspective21 Fri 17-Jul-15 18:19:01

My son was late weaning, mainly because he has Down's Syndrome and made a slower transition to real food as well as milk. He was still mostly having formula even at 8 months and he wasn't particularly small in weight or stature. No one thought he was having "too much" formula and he did slowly get the hang of and taste for family foods.
I wouldn't worry too much and just go at the pace which suits your baby. My son was DC 3 and his sisters were weaned much earlier but because he had difficulties, I was anxious not to set up any anxieties over food and pretty much left him too it! He almost weaned himself really by just helping himself to more and more of our food and dropped his milk feeds very slowly and gradually. Don't worry x

purplemurple1 Fri 17-Jul-15 21:20:59

She is happy with tastes as we've done that for a few months so I'm not worried about that side of things.
Good to hear there is no rush to wean even with her on so much formula.
Thanks

NotAQueef Fri 17-Jul-15 21:24:14

I agree, I wouldn't worry. She will drink what she needs, and for some babies that is lots more than others. Food is for fun before one so not really to be relied on for calories etc. some babies aren't ready at exactly 6 months and some are ready a week or two before, just follow her lead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now