Talk

Advanced search

Night weaning to start AF breastfeeding

(9 Posts)
Iwantiwantiwant Thu 16-Jul-15 09:11:06

Hello, I'm after some advice from all you lovely people, regarding night nursing and Return of AF.

My DD is nearly 12m, she eats very well through the day, but also loves breastfeeding. Through the day it doesn't matter so much, but come night time, she is a boob monster.

We co sleep so she helps herself, has a little nibble and then falls back to sleep or she stays latched and will se me as a dummy all night long. If I try to remove my boob she screams and screams.

We are wanting to start TTC but need my AF to return.

My question is, did you AF return while you were still feeing at night or did you have to night wean? I know it's varies from person to person, but would love to see how you guys found it. wink

Drmum83 Thu 16-Jul-15 10:10:38

Hi

My periods returned when DD was 4 months. The longest period of time I went without feeding/expressing was about 5 hours...! (Generally this was evening say 5-10ish rather than middle of night)
Good luck!

HeadDreamer Thu 16-Jul-15 14:46:12

Have you tried the TTC while BF thread? You will find mums in the same boat as you to bounce ideas with.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Thu 16-Jul-15 14:51:35

Do you definitely need your periods to return? I only ask as I (happily) fell pregnant with DD when DS was 16 weeks old. He was exclusively breast fed. I hadn't had a period since DS was born and assumed that fertility would be supressed!

cookiefiend Thu 16-Jul-15 14:54:46

My DD was the same as yours. My period returned just after I did my first night shift (I only do one a month) when she was about 15/16 'months. She was not night weaned at the time, but survived a night with DH. Before you resort to weaning, you could just try having a whole night off by staying elsewhere. I have read now that in some women one or two nights is all it takes.

cookiefiend Thu 16-Jul-15 14:55:42

Ps- I fell pregnant after that one period- so fertility resumed right away for me. It is lot true for everyone, but worth a shot.

AnythingNotEverything Thu 16-Jul-15 14:56:40

AF only returned for me when we night weaned and dropped to 3 feeds a day (first thing, mid afternoon, bedtime) at 10 ish months.

LiDLrichardsPistachioSack Thu 16-Jul-15 15:00:06

My breastfed DD is 22 months old and has been night weaned since she was 14 months, and I still have no AF. Shows how everyone is different! Good luck with ttc OP, I'm sure most women return to fertility within a few months of stopping night feeds. Dr Jay Gordon's method is pretty good, and very gentle.

helloelo Sat 18-Jul-15 21:18:35

I ovulated the minute DS ate something else apart from BM (5 months 3 weeks) and AF returned 14 days later.
Everybody is different, glad I didn't have to night wean before TTC again... Good luck OP smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now