Talk

Advanced search

blw and cmpi

(9 Posts)
RavioliOnToast Tue 14-Jul-15 08:58:51

DD2 is 22 weeks, she was diagnosed just over a week ago with cmpi, when we went to the consultant she asked of I'd started weaning and i said no, she recommended trying her with little thongs but didn't really go into anything and just said I'd get an appt for a dietician in due course.

I like the method behind blw, but I'm very nervous as with DD1 she would try whatever we were having, so if we were out for lunch etc I'd let her try my sandwich etc. with DD2 I'm nervous to do that as I heard some breads contain milk, then theres spreads etc on the bread.

which would be the best way to go about it?

TheLastPickleInTheJar Tue 14-Jul-15 12:35:34

I don't know the answer i'm afraid. I cut out dairy when i was bf ds as i suspected cmpi but it was never diagnosed. Now that he's weaning we just follow the same diet.

It might just be a case of you choosing things that you know don't contain dairy when you're out if that's the way you want to do it. I've found it quite easy going dairy free. And most cafes and restaurants are good at catering for allergies and intolerances, it's just a case of asking. If you buy a pre-packed sandwich you'll be able to read the ingredients. Dairy products in food are highlighted in bold.

You could also ask on the allergies and intolerances board under health. Many people will have been there and done it.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 14-Jul-15 22:51:31

You'll find it easier as you go on. At first if you go out it might be best to pack something for her but don't forget that it's only recommended to feed her once a day after 26 weeks and it doesn't even have to be every day.

Could you start off by giving her something at your evening meal? That way you will probably be more in control. She could have things like spag Bol, roast dinner etc.

zombiemeow Wed 15-Jul-15 07:55:08

I am currently weaning my ds with cmpi, it's quite easy but it's not like they can just have anything you are having.

I tend to make dairy free meals for the family most nights (spaghetti bolognaise, burritos, fajitas, chicken and veg etc) anything that needs butter i use vitalite. I made. Cottage pie the other day but made a normal one, then made some mash with ds milk and put his in a smaller dish to go in the oven so he had the same.

It's a pain when we go out as I can't just let him have anything. I usually will make him something (strips of chicken, carrots, cucumber, pepper, apple etc) and take it out with me in a little container and give him that smile

Hath

kiwiquest Fri 17-Jul-15 17:42:51

Hi my DD is 6 months and cmpi, we have just started weaning. I make her potato wedges, corguette and carrot battons, slithers of ripe pear and avocado all with the skin on, she just spits it out. Pene pasta, toast with soya spread. Strips of chicken, Porridge and weetabix made with neocate formula. Even purée stuff she'll sometimes scoop up with her hands to eat (and spread all over her high chair, face etc). Bananas are best baby ready meal ever. I was really stressing before I actually started weaning about all the stuff she couldn't have, now we're actually doing it, it's actually not that bad. You just have to plan ahead a bit more.

dairyfreequeen Sun 19-Jul-15 19:36:36

im doing blw with my ds who's allergic to milk, soya and eggs. Id recommend first off going through your usual foods and making sure you know what does or doesnt contain milk, your dietitian will likely recommend not starting the milk ladder til she's 1? So you're in this for the long haul (though hopefully she'll grow out of it soon!)

My ds seemed to be reacting to all sorts of things when i started, so now i introduce a new food, wait 5 days before another. So i started with, for example, the vegetables we were having with our meal, then gradually introduced another component at a time. I am bfing, so already avoid his allergens which made this stage a lot easier, my dh has milk in his tea etc but in the main theres nothing around the house or in our meals that im worried about him reacting to.

I was advised to 'wean as normal, without milk' but my dietitian didnt know what blw was. I know someone else who was advised to wean as we are doing now from the same hospital! So i dont think theres an official opinion on it.
Theres a good fb group 'cows milk protein allergy support (@cmpa support)' with lots of advice from others going through it as well.

CocktailSausage Sun 19-Jul-15 20:26:21

I would stick with what you know that is definitely dairy free.
As your dd is still young, weaning shouldn't be a big issue. We found rice cakes, breadsticks,soft boiled vegetables and fruit easy to carry from the beginning.

RavioliOnToast Sun 19-Jul-15 22:29:31

do the children not choke on harder food? I dint remember it being an issue with my eldest but DD2 has gagged/choked/panicked on 3 occasions now and it's worrying me

dairyfreequeen Mon 20-Jul-15 18:14:58

theres a big difference between gagging and choking ravioli. The gag reflex in babies is really far forward in their mouths, its a protective mechanism to prevent choking so nothing big ends up further back where they could choke. It gradually moves backwards as they learn to chew better. I looked up some videos on youtube of babies gagging so i felt sure i knew the difference, (choking is silent) and nhs videos on what to do in case of choking. Anecdotally, my ds is now 8 months and can manage most food, using his hands a lot where spoonfed babies i know will, for example, put a whole rice cake in their mouths and let it disintegrate which seems a lot more dangerous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now