Talk

Advanced search

Baby won't drink from cup

(5 Posts)
cooperbug Wed 08-Jul-15 11:08:55

DS is nearly 7 months old and we introduced a cup when started weaning at six months. He won't drink anything from it though not if we give him it to hold himself or if we put it to his mouth for him. In fact he is resisting it more and more when we try to do the latter.

The cup is a free flow tommee tippee and just been offering water. When I have spoken to other people they have said try him with juice which I am reluctant to do as I think he will only want juice from then on.

I am concerned about his fluid intake as he is a bit constipated and passing hard stools. He takes 3 x 8oz bottles of formula per day.

Any tips/tricks to get him to take the cup or will he just do it when he is ready?

RiverTam Wed 08-Jul-15 11:15:44

I had to try a load of different cups before DD would reliably drink from one (it was a bog standard Boots sippy cup).

Don't forget that he will be getting a lot of water in his food, fruit and veg are full of water, and of course in his milk.

Try not to worry, I think it takes a while for lots of babies to settle in to drinking water.

purplemurple1 Wed 08-Jul-15 11:16:14

Have you tried milk in the cup?

And maybe try a few diff types of cup I think we tried four before ds stole his cousins and we found out that wa the one he liked.

purplemurple1 Wed 08-Jul-15 11:17:01

You could also try water in a bottle so he gets use to the taste without having to get use to a cup t the same time.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Wed 08-Jul-15 11:18:11

Mine is a year old and still has trouble with a tommy tippee cup - but she is happy using cups with inbuilt straws. It's definitely worth trying a few different styles and I think you are right not to try juice at this point!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now