Talk

Advanced search

10 mth old refusing milk

(7 Posts)
squareheadcut Fri 03-Jul-15 22:06:46

She was drinking 3 bottles but now she is not drinking any not even her night time before bed.
I think it'd because my husband put Horlicks in her milk (don't ask!) and now she won't have normal milk.
Do you think this could be the reason and should I be worried about her not wanting milk anymore? She is eating solids loads.

princessvikki Sat 04-Jul-15 09:02:27

As long as she's getting a balanced diet babies dont really need milk after 6months

princessvikki Sat 04-Jul-15 09:03:43

Haiving said that I would keep offering it, have you tried a sippy cup rather than a bottle?

squizita Sat 04-Jul-15 09:48:45

Actually babies should be drinking milk up to 12 months. Indeed the norm till 10 months is 90% of calories from breast or formula.

However if they won't drink it they can eat it, eg use full fat milk or formula to make porridge, give cheese in sandwiches or on home made pizza, creamy pasta sauces etc.
The only thing to avoid before 1 is normal (ie not baby) milk as a long drink.

Buglife Mon 06-Jul-15 12:09:37

Like everything about babies this varies. If it's completely the 'norm' for 10 month old babies to get 90% of their calories from BF or FF, my 10.5 month DS must be a complete freak because he has 3 meals a day and I'm getting about 3 5oz bottle in him max now. Was worried but spoke to a HV about it and she pointed out if he was eating that much and drinking water then it would be hard for him to also drink 20oz of formula, they aren't bottomless pits! So if you do happen to have a big eater then they can drink less milk. A varied diet with lots of dairy and this shouldn't be a problem. He has 5-6oz when he wakes, I offer before first nap but doesn't have much as he's had morning feed and breakfast, usually takes a bit mid afternoon and has a feed to sleep at bedtime. But he has milk on cereal or chees in an omelette, yoghurt, butter on all breads, I make him cheese muffins, pasta with cream cheese etc. Don't panic, your baby is as normal as a baby who still drinks loads of milk. If they are big eaters it's just not possible to force the same amount of milk
In them as they had when just starting out weaning, and also there's no way DS would reduce his food in favour of a bottle.

HeadDreamer Mon 06-Jul-15 19:14:31

It's not true they don't need formula after 6mo. NHS says 500-600ml until 12 months.
www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Babies-weaning/Pages/Whattodo-OLD.aspx

Buglife Mon 06-Jul-15 20:15:20

Yes, they still need milk, formula or Breast, and OP I think you should still offer it. But if they are really struggling to drink that amount, what do you do? No one would advocate forcing solids down a baby if they didn't wat much food, so surely also if they do happen to take to food and eat a large amount then they will just not drink as much milk, and you can't force them. I offer DS milk 4 times a day and food 3 times a day and he just doesn't have the 'recommended' amount of milk most days. I do BLW so he eats as much as he wants and I'm not going make him hungry so he has his milk quota. But as he is eating a lot and has a varied diet the HV told me not to worry too much about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now