Talk

Advanced search

10m old refusing spoon....

(13 Posts)
cjt110 Thu 02-Jul-15 15:54:33

DS is 10m. We went on hol and his appetite bombed. From 3 good meals and snacks a day to half a yoghurt if lucky. We have managed to get his food intake back up again but he has started to get fussy with his foods. He has been spoon fed and given finger foods but now seems to only want to feed himself, won't take food out of my hand - only pick it up if on the table in front of him. Tips up his plate if we give him food on a plate.

Is this a normal developmental thing? Any advice for us on the next steps?

Thanks

cjt110 Thu 02-Jul-15 15:55:21

He's also started this thing where if he seems another piece of food whilst he is eating, even if it's the same as he has in his mouth, he spits the food out and opens his mouth for the next lot

stargirl1701 Thu 02-Jul-15 15:57:56

Have you heard of BLW? Sounds like he would really love it. The cookbook is worth buying. It's mostly s case of chopping/cutting a little differently so pieces of food are grabbable.

stargirl1701 Thu 02-Jul-15 15:58:40

www.babyledweaning.com

cjt110 Thu 02-Jul-15 16:00:01

I have indeed stargirl.... grimaces in horror of the mess He seems to be doign great with feeding himself with his hands and I reckon it's probably the next step for us.... My poor kitchen floor and white walls! confused

stargirl1701 Thu 02-Jul-15 16:00:07

I did BLW with DD1 and I didn't introduce a plate until 18 months. I just put the food on the tray of an IKEA Antilop high chair. The tray goes in the dishwasher.

stargirl1701 Thu 02-Jul-15 16:01:47

DD2 was not a fan of BLW though. I have her 8 weeks but she hadn't put a morsel in her mouth. Started purées at 8 months and, a week off 11 months, she has finally begun to feed herself. Hallelujah!

stargirl1701 Thu 02-Jul-15 16:03:13

You need a dog at mealtimes for the mess! I never did it but I have heard of people putting a shower curtain or sheet under the high chair and then popping it into the machine.

HippyChickMama Thu 02-Jul-15 16:04:18

Another vote for BLW here. Now that dd is older (nearly 2) I supply a toddler spoon and fork at every meal but just let her get on with it. She now happily feeds herself with either and hardly drops anything.

cjt110 Thu 02-Jul-15 16:05:58

Good idea on the showercurtain front stargirl. He has a tray top on his highchair but it doesnt come off. Just have to give it a good wipe.

I suppose I shall just have to bite the bullet and go for it lol. Any (less messier) suggestions?!

Milkyway1304 Thu 02-Jul-15 16:44:20

Yes. Totally normal! Mine refused all spoonfeeds from the beginning. Seems that around this age they like to exert their independence. Embrace the mess, perfect weather for it- strip baby to nappy and give them food!

Tanito279 Thu 02-Jul-15 16:59:21

It's totally normal! Definitely get a shower curtain for the floor and either take his clothes off for meals or buy massive bibs with sleeves. My daughter was exactly the same- finger foods all the way!

stargirl1701 Thu 02-Jul-15 21:37:02

I use IKEA muslins as bibs loosely tied at the back of the neck. They give decent coverage over clothes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now