Talk

Advanced search

Is it ok to give my 6 month old a sunday lunch?

(11 Posts)
beedeepullen Sun 28-Jun-15 10:21:01

I was wanting to give my 6 month old DD her first Sunday lunch today.
I am wanting to blend a little bit of everything. peas, potatoes, cauli, carrots, turnip etc.

is there anything I should not add to the blender or give her like sweetcorn, pork, puddings and gravy, as I have heard that sweetcorn can cause allergies. pork and gravy may be a little to salty and puddings may have a few unhealthy fats.

Any advice would be appreciated

CurlsLDN Sun 28-Jun-15 10:25:06

Don't worry about fats, unlike us adults babies need all the fat they can get.

I haven't heard of sweetcorn triggering allergies, it's in lots of baby food, Is there a history of that allergy in your family?

Yes normal gravy would be too salty, you can buy baby stock cubes in boots if you wanted to make her own.

Pork would be fine if you give her the meat, not the salty crackling.

Have you considered giving her some whole pieces to pick up and play with/chew instead?

Spadequeen Sun 28-Jun-15 10:26:14

I would avoid anything salty or too sweet. So carrots, turnip and potatoes cooked in unsealed water blended would be fine. I wouldnt give pork or gravy or traditional pudding, pureed apple etc is fine

They're will be thousands of other Sunday roasts for you to have together, don't rush into everything right now.

GooodMythicalMorning Sun 28-Jun-15 10:26:22

Yes fine, just cut it up small.

GooodMythicalMorning Sun 28-Jun-15 10:27:04

Oh just read blending yes definitely fine.

beedeepullen Sun 28-Jun-15 13:01:19

thanks for your reply girls
think I will wait until I can get some baby stock cubes for gravy as you are right our granule's maybe too salty.

I will hold off on the pork and puddings this week and just slowly introduce them.
think I will add a little sweetcorn to the blender though as its very tasty and sweet which I think she may enjoy.

there are no food allergies in my family I was just worried about sweetcorn being digested so I decided to google it and found that it may trigger some allergies.

I am sure she will be fine though as a lot of babies at 6 months probably eat sweetcorn and like I say I will be blending everything.

thanks again guys

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Sun 28-Jun-15 13:11:57

the sweetcorn will probably come out the other end undigested....

Flisspaps Sun 28-Jun-15 13:51:52

Perfectly fine. Doesn't need blending, just give your baby pieces that are big enough for them to grab (and wave about, don't expect much actual eating to get done) grin

squizita Mon 29-Jun-15 19:15:44

At 6 months pork is fine. In fact being a fatty meat is optimum. Babies often get too much veg and not enough fat at first ... They love fat, protein and carbs!

6 months, the only banned foods are salty, sugary, honey, unpasteurised cheese/raw meat/fish and whole nuts (or other choke risks).

Alibabsandthe40Musketeers Mon 29-Jun-15 19:18:23

I would cut up some dinner into pieces she can grab and chew and see what she likes.

No crackling, and no gravy would be the only things I would leave out.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sun 05-Jul-15 20:06:15

My lo is 7mths and loves a roast dinner we don't mash or purree much now he eats sliced food off his highchair but for roast dinner we always just added water or breast milk for blending, he would have roast pork, sweet potato, normal potato, broccoli, carrots, sweet corn and I would roast an Apple too all blitzed up or mashed, he has had chicken beef pork lamb and enjoys rib eye steak too the greedy little monkey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now