Talk

Advanced search

Dropping a feed

(9 Posts)
Thomasjames2007 Fri 19-Jun-15 07:25:39

Hi

I have a 16 week old and I've just started weaning due to reflux. My query is would it be ok to drop the midnight feed? His schedule is below:
6am 7oz bottle
8am breakfast
11am 7oz bottle
1pm lunch
3pm 7oz bottle
5pm dinner
6pm bath
7pm 7oz bottle
12/midnight 7oz bottle (dream feed never wakes)
He is a great sleeper and has no weight issues.

grabaspoon Fri 19-Jun-15 07:32:41

When you put breakfast/lunch/dinner what do you mean?

Thomasjames2007 Fri 19-Jun-15 07:38:08

breakfast/couple of spoons baby porridge
Lunch/couple of spoons of fruit/veg purée
Dinner/veg purée

Hobby2014 Fri 19-Jun-15 07:44:07

Personally I wouldn't wean yet. Has somebody (HV?) advised you to?

grabaspoon Fri 19-Jun-15 07:45:08

Agree I wouldn't be offering food yet

Hobby2014 Fri 19-Jun-15 07:45:55

Sorry I know that's not what you're asking. No I wouldn't drop the feed because milk is most important right now. Full of nutrients. So don't start reducing milk yet. My DS is 10 months and has been weaning since 6 months and despite eating lots his bottles haven't reduced. So no don't reduce milk imo and I'd stop the weaning too.

Thomasjames2007 Fri 19-Jun-15 07:53:27

Yes I was advised to due to reflux issues plus it's quite common in Ireland to wean at 4 months anyway. Thanks for the advice I'll keep up all the bottles I just always hated that dream feed as he never winded properly and I always worried about him choking on his vomit.

eurochick Fri 19-Jun-15 07:56:30

Weaning early is often recommended for reflux so I would assume the OP has been advised to start now. I agree with the previous posters not to drop feeds yet. We've found that our baby will start taking less and less of a particular feed when it gets to a really small amount we try dropping it completely. If she is happy, we continue to leave it out.

Thomasjames2007 Fri 19-Jun-15 08:51:48

Thanks he has started to take a little less at the midnight feed so once that reduces down a bit more I'll maybe try a night without it and see if he sleeps through. I am so worried he'll choke I don't sleep for an hour or two after!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now