Not introducing certain food until 9mo+ ?

(13 Posts)
helloelo Sun 14-Jun-15 17:00:38

Hello,

DS is starting to get very interested in food and cutlery, he's quite often on my lap when I eat and I guess is trying to imitate me.
Anyway, I think it's time to introduce some food.
I want to get him to try, for fun for now, loads of things but I'm confused as to what is allowed and what is not reg. allergies.

>> When do you introduce gluten (bread, pasta), eggs, strawberries, kiwis, citrus, nuts, etc.? How about cow's milk? He's EBF and apparently I'm not supposed to?

Thanks for your time, sorry if it's stupid question, I'm not in the UK and BLW is very very weird here.

FlossieTreadlight Sun 14-Jun-15 17:06:09

You can give everything from 6 months except runny eggs and honey (Honey ok from one year) Nuts should not be served whole because of the risk of choking until much, much later. Cherry toms and grapes should be quartered. Advice now, I think, is to not hold back on allergens eg gluten as this can make a reaction worse. Enjoy - weaning is lots of fun smile

FlossieTreadlight Sun 14-Jun-15 17:06:46

Ps cows milk not as a drink but on cereal is fine from 6 months

Flisspaps Sun 14-Jun-15 17:07:20

Even if you're not doing BLW, there's no need to restrict anything other than honey until 12m. Cut up grapes and don't give whole nuts or too much salt.

After 6m everything else is fine in moderation, no need to stagger foods unless there are allergies.

gallicgirl Sun 14-Jun-15 17:07:22

First off look at babyledweaning.com

BLW can start at around 6 months once baby can sit by themself and brung food to their mouth. Only restrictions are no honeybefore 1 year. If there is a hhistory of allegies in the family, you might want to introduce one food every 3 days or so.

helloelo Sun 14-Jun-15 17:16:16

Oh thanks for the quick replies! Here there's a whole table of foods to introduce and when, I was getting very confused.
DS is going to be very happy to munch on baguette smile

AvocadoLime Sun 14-Jun-15 17:16:27

Cows milk is often explained badly, it's just that he can't have it as a drink by itself because it's not good for him to be replacing BM with cows milk. He can have it in food, including cereal, though. I make up porridge for my DS with it.

Everything else is fine from 6 months apart from honey, and some people decide/advise no nuts until 1 year. There are no food allergies on either side of our family, so I just decided to go for it with everything basically! I think when he was about 7 months I dabbed a bit of salt free nut butter (you get it in health food shops) on his tongue to test for allergies so I knew if I had to worry or not, he was fine.

gallicgirl Sun 14-Jun-15 22:53:24

Really? That sounds bloody complicated. Where are you?

I couldn't even get my head around smooth and lumpy purees. The weird mixtures put me off too so BLW just made more sense.

18yearsoftrying Wed 17-Jun-15 21:34:02

Latest advice in UK apparently for strawberries & peanut butter is to do a skin patch test first.

Have fun, enjoy the weaning!

helloelo Sat 27-Jun-15 16:54:33

oh 18years I think the skin patch idea is brilliant! I'll do that for certain things grabs DS and covers him in mustard
I'm in France where on top of being rubbish at breastfeeding support, they go against WHO to promote a strict introduction calendar from 4 months.

gallicgirl Sat 27-Jun-15 21:23:59

Meh. French doctors can have weird ideas.
Health care can be brilliant but I found it a bit patriarchal.

GirlInTheDirtyShirt Sat 27-Jun-15 21:28:21

I'm in Spain and we have the same insanity. Legumes at nine months, eggs at ten months... Or something daft like that. I ignored and did BLW, much to the abject horror of my paediatrician. I now have a two-year-old who literally eats anything, whereas many of the other kids round here are very fussy. Might be coincidence, though.

squizita Wed 01-Jul-15 09:48:49

Steer clear of pinterest grin there are all sorts of bizarre tables of foods babies in America can't have at certain ages... So glad I'm in the uk where all that happens is people ask if you follow Annabel Karmel or BLW grin aka blend or plonk. Or in my case both (which neither would approve of but has got my slow weaning dd eating at least!!!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now