Talk

Advanced search

Very first BLW foods

(15 Posts)
GloGirl Fri 12-Jun-15 08:21:42

I did BLW for my first DC and I loved it, very easy, felt like I didn't fuss over what he ate too much. I didn't mind the gagging at all. He took to it really well right from the beginning.

I have gone with a similar attitude to BLW my second one, but I think I have forgotten the first stage or am giving him the wrong foods!

He eats toast, rusks, yoghurt, porridge quite well which is good! Every time I try and give him a vegetable or a big bit of pasta, or a chunk of cheese he bites it off and chokes on it.

I'm not struggling to not give him junk food to be honest as he eats it so well! I'd never have given my PFB a rusk grin

He really loves the flavours of peppers and apples but I am trying to avoid giving him too many sweet flavours. I suppose my problem is I am cooking the veg and I should go back to raw carrots etc?

Anyone have any advice for lazy first stage BLW I'd appreciate it! Can't believe how much I have forgotten already from my first sad

Newquay Fri 12-Jun-15 08:24:32

Me too like you. My 'good' options are oat cakes, avocado, strip of chicken. My bad ones are breadstick and then I slide in a spoon of full fat plain yoghurt.

HeadDreamer Fri 12-Jun-15 08:46:35

DD2 is 8mo so it's all fresh to me. I did a lot of roast vegetables. Sweet potato, carrot, cauliflower, aubergine. Boiled veg like broccolini, beans are good too. DD2 loves halved cherry tomatoes but a 6mo would struggle to pick it up.

I think the choking is down to the baby. Neither of mine gagged. They both spat out lumps of hard veg. So raw carrots, cucumbers are out. Basically not get eaten. I have to cook them till soft.

You might need to experiment with the texture your LO likes.

HeadDreamer Fri 12-Jun-15 08:48:47

Oh and I didn't really do first stage. Lots of omelettes in this house as first food. I have this one egg frying pan so omelettes are nice and thick for little hands

www.lakeland.co.uk/14327/Tefal-One-Egg-Wonder

HeadDreamer Fri 12-Jun-15 08:50:12

And with omelettes i add frozen peas, frozen sweet corn and sautéed mushrooms.

HeadDreamer Fri 12-Jun-15 08:52:04

Frozen spinach to the omelettes too. I think that's all I want to say! Sorry for the multi posts.

princesssofiasmum Fri 12-Jun-15 08:53:30

I did kind of veggie purees and spread them on toast fingers or pitta. DD either ate the lot or just gnawed on it and got the veg that way

Buglife Fri 12-Jun-15 09:59:41

I second adding things to eggs! I grate carrot and courgette etc into muffin tins, add eggs and some grated cheese and bake to make little eggy muffins. DS has never been a fan of plain sticks of veg but will eat veg in meals. He likes peas (but was 9 months before he could pick them up and that was mixed with a bit of grated cheese. Or anything squished into a finger sandwich would get eaten.

GloGirl Fri 12-Jun-15 13:23:05

Great ideas here thank you for your time! thanks

jessplussomeonenew Sat 13-Jun-15 07:38:42

Asparagus worked well for us early on as it was stringy enough to hold together under sucking/gumming. French beans too. If bits are breaking off, I'd go with softer and thicker sticks. I read somewhere that breast/formula milk are so sweet that babies start weaning with a sweet tooth so there's no point holding off on fruit so long as you also offer veg!

JasperDamerel Sat 13-Jun-15 07:43:02

I didn't do special foods for BLW, just made sure that the meals we ate were low in salt/ didn't have honey etc, sat the baby on my lap and let him help himself.

HeadDreamer Sat 13-Jun-15 08:49:40

jasper I did because some food is very difficult for a 6mo. For example I'm making sure my salads currently have one soft veg in it. Like courgette, French bean or aubergine. My 8mo just cannot bite off any salad leaves. They stay in her mouth stuck to her tongue. I also don't make couscous as she can't pick them up. I stick with other carbs like rice, polenta, pasta etc. I didn't do soy sauce for DD1, afraid of the salt content. That makes it impossible to cook proper Chinese food as the first step is marinate the meat. I have relaxed with DD2 so she gets the marinade with soy and fish sauces, but not the sauce. Same with stir fries with chillies and Sichuan peppers, they are the first step before the meat goes in, so non of that can be cooked. DD2 also get marigold bouillon instead of the low stock crap. Couldn't stand it at all when I used it for DD1. Same with wine in cooking.

Fact is not everything is suitable for babies, despite what Rapley says.

GloGirl Sat 13-Jun-15 09:00:27

Jasper, as I'm sure you've read from my first post, I am weaning using the foods that we eat, and he is choking. Hence asking for advice.

Additional to that, I do want a better diet for my children and I am using the opportunity to broaden and improve all our diets.

HeadDreamer Sat 13-Jun-15 09:22:03

glogirl you are doing it right. It's not only your baby who can't eat all the adult food. He's only 6mo! I would adapt the adults and older children to baby friendly food if you aren't keen on cooking different meals. That's what I'm doing.

Buglife Sat 13-Jun-15 10:07:57

I can't do full 'share every adult meal' BLW either as DH gets in so late we eat at 8pm, so DS dinners are leftovers usually or I'll make him a little omlette etc. I'm not going to sit down for a cooked evebing meal with a 10 month old and leave DH to eat himself later! And I do love very hot chillis and some foods he just doesn't handle well yet. I share as much as possible anyway and he has had curry etc. he shares my lunchtime jacket potato or sandwiches. I think the self feeding aspect is the most important thing about BLW anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now