Talk

Advanced search

Self feeding - what age

(4 Posts)
moomin35 Thu 11-Jun-15 21:45:23

My LO (12 months) will eat the odd finger food but what about cooked hot meals that I was pureeing when he was really young and now just chopping up finely...am j supposed to give him the spoon to feed himself or is it ok that I still feed him?

stressbucket1 Thu 11-Jun-15 21:58:42

I would say it's fine to still feed him and a lot less messy! You could give him his own spoon to hold and have a go but as he gets older he will probably decide that he doesn't want any help anyway.
My 15mo refuses to be spoon fed now so I just have to give her the bowl and spoon and let her get on with it.

CultureSucksDownWords Fri 12-Jun-15 00:42:00

Yes give him a spoon and fork now and let him have a go. Remember, many people do BLW where they self feed (with their hands and then later spoon/fork) from 6 months. The sooner you give him cutlery the sooner he will learn to use it.

I also wouldn't chop things up finely at 12 months either.

HeadDreamer Fri 12-Jun-15 08:53:39

Wanted to say they can self feed from 6mo too. Both mine did. My 8mo doesn't have chopped food already. Only did it for a couple of months. Nice and large is easier for little hands.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now