Talk

Advanced search

Greedy baby?

(5 Posts)
WorkingItOutForMyself Tue 09-Jun-15 23:06:47

I couldn't think of a better title, but essentially that's what I have - a very hungry 8.5 month old.

He has always been a great feeder, but had struggled with 'portion control'. He was initially breast fed but we both struggled. He had reflux and I had a fast flow. He'd drink too much and vomit and vomit and vomit. He was just above 50th percentile when he was born but when he was a few 2 months old he dropped almost 2 percentiles because he was vomiting up so much milk. Nobody was able to help, they told me he was fine and 'thriving'. He wasn't, he was sick, unhappy and hungry.

We switched to a thickened anti reflux formula and it was a miracle. He just stopped being sick and within a week was a much happier baby back up to just under the 50th percentile.

However he continued to feed and feed and feed. He was at one point having 50oz of milk a day. I just went with it as his weight gain was steady.

Then we started solids.... And he loved them and he eats and eats and eats. We do purée and finger food. He generally has our meals, mushed up, no jars or pouches as he refuses them. He has 3 meals a day. He will eat all that we give him, he eats a LOT before he's had enough. I often stop him before he's 'finished'.

He still has 25/30 oz of milk a day in 4 bottles.

Weighed him today and he was almost the 91st percentile confused.

I don't think he has an off switch. I don't think he knows when he's full, and I'm worried I'm over feeding him. He cries if I take away solids or there aren't enough. He's less fussed about milk, he'd probably be happy to go down to 2 bottles a day, but milk is more important.

I don't know what to do. His chart isn't a nice steady line anymore!

CultureSucksDownWords Wed 10-Jun-15 20:44:37

Maybe try letting him self feed all his meals? That might slow him down a bit, naturally perhaps.

GloGirl Sat 13-Jun-15 09:08:43

Speak to your HV. My first was remarkably able to stop. In fact it was quite humbling to see him really enjoying something and then say "That's enough". Made me reconsider how I scarf down as many biscuits after I am full!

Perhaps like most adults he should eat a bit slower, or have a break before the end of his meal see if his tummy knows it is full?

I believe a benefit of blw is that they ate able to feel when they are full and stop. Could you try one blw meal a day see how he does?

GloGirl Sat 13-Jun-15 09:10:01

Sorry, that sounded braggy blush I just mean it wasn't my experience and therefore it might be worth talking to your HV about it in case it isn't typical.

squizita Sat 13-Jun-15 14:26:18

I believe the official advice is there is no such thing as an overweight pre - walking infant. As they'll lose it all eventually.
My DD is 2nd percentile. I wish she'd eat and eat (she does to some extent- but could do with more!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now