Talk

Advanced search

12 months old...what happens now?

(15 Posts)
moomin35 Sun 07-Jun-15 07:59:04

I've been using annabel Karmel baby recipe books so far to take me to12 months but is there a good recipe book (preferably annabel karmel) that takes me beyond 12 months? Or is it just all foods from now on?

Mustard969 Sun 07-Jun-15 08:10:00

We used Annabelle for our first baby but quickly realised by 12 months that we needed to get our baby on to eating my normal cooking. So we introduced my usual home cooked meals - mild curries, mild chilli's, salads, fish dishes and so on. With my other three kids we did baby led weaning using some normal family meals and then aged one, we just gave them everything we ate. The result has been four very good eaters who enjoy food.

Mustard969 Sun 07-Jun-15 08:10:41

What do you normally eat OP

moomin35 Mon 08-Jun-15 13:30:06

I don't really wAnt him eating what I eat because I don't have a good enough well rounded diet so I prefer to make healthy nutritious meals just for him so I know he's getting a healthy well rounded diet....so that's why I'm looking for a cookbook really....

MrsWembley Mon 08-Jun-15 13:32:08

Someone recommended me the Fay Ripley one (yes, really, her off the telegrin) and it's lovely. But maybe you could use this as a reason to get yourself sorted diet-wise?

CultureSucksDownWords Mon 08-Jun-15 13:38:11

The River Cottage Baby and Toddler cook book is a good book I found. You could also look at getting a general cookbook like delia smith's "how to cook".

As an aside, it can be really helpful to eat with your child so they see and experience a shared mealtime. Perhaps you could use this as a way of expanding your own diet to model it for your child.

Mustard969 Mon 08-Jun-15 17:18:53

OP it's a great time to teach yourself to cook nutritious meals and overhaul your diet as well. I myself only learnt to cook good food once my first was weaning age. My cooking and food knowledge has gone from strength to strength and I have the least fussy eaters I know. Tonight my 4 boys and DH are having peppers stuffed with puy lentils/pesto/mozzarella.

Mustard969 Mon 08-Jun-15 17:21:55

I think you could use any cook book to teach yourself. I used Jamie Oliver's Ministry cook book for family meals but also used online recipes

moomin35 Thu 11-Jun-15 21:46:50

I'm looking for meal plans and toddler meals specifically, we will continue to eat seperately because I eat much later and he eats at like 4.45/5pm, a bit too early for me!!

Twodogsandahooch Thu 11-Jun-15 21:49:04

Honey!!

Twodogsandahooch Thu 11-Jun-15 21:51:51

I like the Fay Ripley book too. The recipes have gone down well with all of my family. She usually gives tips on how you can adapt the recipe for younger children.

girliefriend Thu 11-Jun-15 21:53:35

I think you just give them a portion of whatever you have and just add less salt etc. Even if you eat later I would cook what you will have but just do it the day before or earlier in the day. So spag bol, casseroles, pasta bakes etc

I loved this book for ideas www.amazon.co.uk/Recipes-Babies-Toddlers-Children-Healthy/dp/1844830365/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434055853&sr=8-1&keywords=the+big+book+of+recipes

This is the time to start looking at your own eating habits as well as toddlers become more aware of food and i was advised that even if you don't sit down and eat your dinner with them babies/toddlers should still see you eating something.

Frenchmustard7 Thu 11-Jun-15 22:46:29

Why don't you cook the meal earlier? And you can reheat it for yourselves in the evening

Or cook for yourselves and give your child your left overs the next day?

SellMySoulForSomeSleep Sat 27-Jun-15 23:37:40

www.amazon.co.uk/Quick-Easy-Toddler-Recipes/dp/0091941520/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1435444602&sr=1-3&keywords=toddler+cookbook

Annabel Karmel do one, hurrah! smile

TheNewStatesman Mon 29-Jun-15 12:14:33

OP, I know it's a bore, but I think you need to think in terms of improving your own diet and eating the same food at a meal. You will at least be eating lunch together at the weekends, surely-- you can't realistically expect a toddler to sit there obediently eating healthy food if you are sitting next to him eating something unhealthy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now