Talk

Advanced search

Finger foods at 1, running out of ideas!

(24 Posts)
SellMySoulForSomeSleep Sun 31-May-15 21:12:51

Just looking for some inspiration.

DD is about to turn one. I do a mix of blw and spoon fed which works fine however I now want her to eat more herself but I'm running out of ideas.

I mainly give her toast, veg, salad, Fruit, cheese, breadsticks that she can pick up. She doesn't like eating meat herself but will if it's small and spoon Fed.

I can't bear to give her spaghetti Bolognese to eat her self or anything as messy as that but I feel I need to be more adventurous.
Would appreciate any ideas.
Thanks!

Nellagain Sun 31-May-15 21:17:07

Yes you do need to be more adventurous and she is going to have to get used to eating with cutlery.
You are going to have a mess for the 10 years

There you go dd can eat anything.
ds3 sat in my knee for mealtimes and ate from my plate. He now eats anything. Admittedly that technique isn't in any books but he was my 3rd and it made life a lot simpler. It worked too.

mamapants Sun 31-May-15 21:18:44

BLW is giving them whatever you eat so don't really see that you are doing that at all really. As then you'd give spaghetti bolognese or shepherds pie or curry, stir fry, fajitas whatever you were having.
If you don't want to do that you could try giving her plain pasta say and spoon feeding the sauce.

yongnian Sun 31-May-15 21:25:31

DD2 (15 mths) just gets whatever we get. she's always been pretty good at cramming in the food herself and is getting a reasonable aim with a fork too.
I know the mess can be a bit horrendous but it's worth it, honestly.

SellMySoulForSomeSleep Sun 31-May-15 21:29:48

Should she be using cutlery already?

She has what we eat as well, I give her food off my plate or just mush it a bit and spoon feed it. She will eat anything at all and loads of it.

I suppose I was just looking for ideas for things that won't stain as much as even with two huge plastic mats down it still reaches the carpet.

Nellagain Sun 31-May-15 21:33:45

I wouldn't worry then if shes eating off your plate.

Yes she can get used to holding a spoon and waving it round. Occasionally she'll get yoghurt into her mouth.

Honestly I'd just get used to a bit of mess and invest in a decent hoover and carpet cleaner. They go from spitting tomato sauces everywhere to spreading crumbs all over the place. You can't win.

SellMySoulForSomeSleep Sun 31-May-15 21:58:33

Very true. You can probably tell she's my first. I'm still getting used to the destruction!

Ionone Sun 31-May-15 23:03:51

Whisk up an egg or two, add cubes of cheese/cold meat/bits of cooked veg, a bit of cream or full fat milk and a few tablespoons of flour. Fry spoonfuls as fritters or bake in greased muffin tins - this basically contains all the food groups and is really delicious. And it's solid so not too much mess. Yes, it's a bit greasy if fried but babies need a lot of fat. You can also bake the mix without the flour in muffin tins lined with pastry (can buy this if not confident to make it yourself).

Pasta and pesto (pesto is insanely easy to make if you have a blender so it needn't be v salty) is good and not too messy.

A fork is good starter cutlery for cubes of fruit or cheese or whatever - DD used to love stabbing them.

Toasted sandwiches which can contain whatever you like. I used to do broccoli/cauli and cheese toasted sandwiches. You don't need a toaster - you can just put whatever in the bread and butter outside of sandwich lightly and fry in a frying pan on a low heat.

Risotto is pretty easy to pick up for a baby if quite dry.

Quick cook polenta - stir in nuggets of chopped frozen spinach or frozen peas/sweetcorn or leftover cooked veg, grated cheese and tomato puree (and bits of cold meat if you want). Allow to set in a tin and cut into slices and fry for a crispy outside (or it is perfectly OK just set and sliced cold).

Pizza topped with anything you want her to try the taste of and whatever the topping is can be cut up small.

Roll out pastry v thin and add veg/meat/whatever cut up small then make little pasties. I used to do fried mince of various kinds and add veg and sometimes even a bit of cream or cheese.

Something called cook up rice which is a West Indian dish - you fry onions and any other veg you like cut up small, add a tin of beans without liquid of whatever kind (we like blackeye beans but kidney beans or haricots or anything work well, and we add a chopped red or green pepper as veg). Add creamed coconut which is available in blocks (about a third of a block to a small cup of rice). Measure the rice by volume and add twice as much water and/or the liquid from the tin of beans. Cook in a covered pan that water can't escape from in a v low oven or over a VERY low heat for twenty minutes or half an hour - sticky and easy to pick up for a baby. You could add meat or fish but there is plenty of protein with the beans. You can also add spices or herbs at the frying stage if wanted - smoked paprika or ordinary paprika isn't spicy and works well, also thyme, cumin, ground coriander etc.

Hope some of this is helpful!

TheRoseAndTheFire Sun 31-May-15 23:20:37

BLW isn't meant to be this complicated! Give her a bit of whatever you're having and let her get on with it. A bit of mess is inevitable but not the end of the world. Put a shower curtain on the floor and remove the food if she is deliberately flinging it about the place. Give her some cutlery to explore with. She might try it or she might not but she'll enjoy playing.

DrownedGirl Sun 31-May-15 23:25:12

I avoided mess with ds1 and he is still insanely fussy, won't eat pasta sauce. With subsequent children I gritted my teeth and let them self feed pasta with sauce And shepherds pie etc

I recommend baby Bjorn plates and spoons - they are a clover shape and ffe spoons are round and deep. Very easy to use from less than a year old

seasaltbaby Mon 01-Jun-15 12:52:45

My nearly one year old had roast dinner with us yesterday-all quite finger food friendly really, strips chicken, roast pots, Yorkshire pud & some veg. Not sure exactly how much he really ate but that's the joy of blwsmile yes the mess is a pain I agree but tis short lived really

CultureSucksDownWords Mon 01-Jun-15 19:07:15

The thing about BLW is that the early mess often pays off in the long run as they learn to self feed. My DS is now a pretty clean and tidy eater (he's nearly 3) and has been for a good long while.

You should try not to let your fear of mess interfere with your approach to weaning. They have to get messy sometime otherwise how will they learn to self feed and get stuck in! You could think of it as messy play as well as a meal. They learn a lot about textures and shapes by handling food, as well as helping them learn about the variety of food.

Also agree with previous posters that you can give cutlery now and let her get the hang of them. A baby spoon and fork set, and let her have a go.

IShallCallYouSquishy Mon 01-Jun-15 19:14:18

Did mainly spoon fed with DD. She is a fussy eater now at 3. She is getting better and a bit more adventurous now though.

DS got lobbed chunks of proper food from the day he turned 6 months. He's 15 months now and still eats anything and everything, from potato wedges to chilli and curry and everything in between.

TwoLittleTerrors Mon 01-Jun-15 19:20:39

Agree with others you aren't doing BLW at all. You just had special finger food with purees! You are making it so much more complicated than it should be. You don't even need to avoid honey at that age.

It's really simple. My 8mo tonight has tray baked roast chicken and sweet potatoes (in sweet smoked paprika and garlic no less). With a salad of aubergine, cherry tomatoes and green peppers. I just keep throwing things on her high chair tray whenever she finished a piece.

She's had pasta, chilli and risotto. The only thing that's not finger food, as far as I can think of, is soup.

TwoLittleTerrors Mon 01-Jun-15 19:25:28

As for the mess. Wait till you are toilet training grin. You will appreciate non carpet flooring.

My biggest fear was DD1 weeing on our bed. Luckily she never did. Not so lucky with our sofa and our upstairs toilet though/

timetosmile Mon 01-Jun-15 19:27:10

Not a food suggestion, just a quick tip that worked with our three.
Give her a spoon in each hand, and while she is waving them round happily and occasionally getting them into her mouth, you shovel the majority of the messy stuff in with a third spoon.

Or do what my friend did, which was to shove a paper towel tube on both baby arms so they couldn't bend at the elbows, which left them flailing their arms like a plane while Mummy fed them. Disclaimer, this was in the seventies...

3littlefrogs Mon 01-Jun-15 19:29:34

I used to give small amounts of things that they could hold and spoon in the other stuff. That said though, by 1, mine could all feed themselves with a spoon from their own bowl and ate pretty much what everyone else was eating. They would also take food from any plate they could reach, so it was advisable to eat your own meal at a safe distance.

yongnian Mon 01-Jun-15 20:20:12

ionone your food suggestions had me licking my lips! Gonna try a couple tomorrow grin

ohthegoats Wed 03-Jun-15 13:14:04

Hahaha, I like the idea of the kitchen roll tubes.

I started off doing proper BLW, but frankly after 7 months of no more than 3 hours sleep at any point I wanted to start seeing if getting porridge in would make her sleep more, so I've done a mix. I do as someone above said - two spoons for her (or something finger food-y to occupy her hands), and one for me so I can actually guarantee some food gets to her mouth. She basically has what we had the night before, some pureed for me to get in and her to wave around on a spoon, and some in its original form for her to put in her mouth. She's got good with a spoon very quickly, and can get quite a lot in after only a few weeks, she's also got good aim for finger food.

Bits of veg and fruit
Small sandwiches - toasted or untoasted
Pizza strips - or cheese on toast with extras (pitta bread good for this)
Meat balls
Prawns and strips of meat
The obvious rice cakes etc, hummous, cream cheese, pureed veg, marmite
Strips of omelette
Small slices of quiche (this is a massive favourite)

In terms of mess, her high chair sits on a large sheet of plastic table cloth.

ohthegoats Wed 03-Jun-15 13:14:44

Oh, and my favourite thing to give her to help herself to is jelly - hilarious.

smellsofsick Wed 03-Jun-15 13:19:29

Gnocchi! Takes two minutes to cook and feed everyone. The DDs like theirs with cheese and sweetcorn. Good, squashy finger food.

lornathewizzard Wed 03-Jun-15 15:53:45

I think as others have said, you are gonna need to learn to deal with the mess. My 10month DD had a pretty well adult sized portion of macaroni cheese at lunchtime, all with her hands. Is it messy? Yes. Is it wonderful to watch? Yes.
Another favourite is boiled egg mashed up in a cup with butter. Easy to pick up off the tray and not actually that messy.
Also you could try preloaded a spoon and giving it to her. You'll probably find she picks up how to do it quite quickly. We started that with Greek yoghurt cause its not very runny.
Try to relax about it smile

FreeButtonBee Wed 03-Jun-15 16:05:58

You could load the spoons for her and leave them on the tray - an interim stage which I did a lot of when BLWing my twins.

Also proper (small!) metal forks and spoons are easier to use than plastic as they are thinner and hold the food better. So you can stab a piece of pasta/meat/veg with the metal fork and leave it on the tray and there is a decent chance she'll eventually get it to her mouth with something still on it.

Shoglen73 Sun 07-Jun-15 10:17:06

My LO is nearly 13 months & loves anything,my problem is I'm struggling to know what finger foods to give her as she doesn't want spoon fed.obviously soup etc is out of the question simply because it's hot liquid but she just wants to turn the bowl/plate upside down regardless of what is in it is!she also only has 2 teeth & im terrified of her choking!any ideas guys!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now