Talk

Advanced search

Multivitamins - for and against?

(9 Posts)
BossWitch Fri 29-May-15 16:03:31

Had dd's 12 month review today. Health visitor asked about whether I was giving Multivitamins. I'm not. She didn't seem too shocked, just said they recommend them for all under fives. I'm just sort of against them on principle - dd eats really well, is on three meals a day, plus snack, plus two breastfeeds. Why does she need extra vitamins. What are the pros and cons?

Anyone else who hasn't bothered? I sort of instinctively feel like they are a bit of a con.

BossWitch Fri 29-May-15 16:04:22

Urgh apologies for the missing question mark. I hate the lack of an edit function!

CornishYarg Fri 29-May-15 17:57:29

We give them mainly because of Vitamin D as I've read it's fairly common for people to be deficient in that. It's probably not really an issue in the summer as he's outdoors a lot and I always give him a spell without suncream. But it does worry me in winter as it's quite difficult to get from food alone. I just feel more comfortable having the vitamin supplement as a safety net.

CultureSucksDownWords Fri 29-May-15 17:59:43

I gave multivitamins from 6 months and still do now my DS is nearly 3. It is advised by the NHS for babies from 6 months (unless they are fully formula fed in which case the formula contains the vitamins/minerals).

My view on it is that they can't hurt, and could help, so it's prudent to give them. I'm not aware of any negatives (other than expense and that they might be unnecessary), so there can only be positives.

mrsnec Fri 29-May-15 18:16:12

I've been giving my dd a supplement from 6 months. Pediatrician told me too because of new research into the omegas and where I am they don't have very much in the formula. I was a bit unsure at first but she recommended a supplement that's made from natural ingredients.

At first I liked the idea but now I've realised once she's fully weaned everything in the supplement will be in her diet anyway I'm not sure if I'll use it again and I've posted a similar thread before so not much help.

Anyway I've been using a product called paradox oil. I was told the same as cornish read about vitamin d.

BossWitch Sat 30-May-15 10:35:13

Thanks all, will look into it some more.

dementedpixie Sat 30-May-15 10:44:14

It's vitamins A,C and D they recommend to supplement from 6 months to age 5. Vitamin D is the most difficult one to get from foods and you rely on being outside too.

scissy Sun 21-Jun-15 09:34:28

It's vitamin D they're most concerned about, as it's hard to get the required amount from diet alone (and people have got the message about wearing sunscreen). I've been giving DD vitamins since 1 for this reason, even though she probably doesn't need the other 7 it includes (luckily for me she's not fussy).

Scotinoz Mon 29-Jun-15 19:00:04

I've never given multivitamins (toddler now 19mths). Not mentioned by my health visitor people and I didn't think about it until reading a discussion here a while ago. Toddler eats reasonable diet, gets out in the sunshine etc so I reckon we're covered. She looks healthy anyway - active, rosy cheeked etc...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now