Talk

Advanced search

How much does your 6/7month old eat?

(29 Posts)
ToonLass Sun 17-May-15 13:25:34

Hi, my DD is 6.5 months and has just gone up to three meals a day.

I have no idea how much I SHOULD be feeding her, so just take her lead. She's bf and typically takes 5 feeds during the day and 2 during the night.

A typical day may consist of this:

BF

Breakfast - 1/2 weetabix with blue milk and fruit purée, or equivalent in ready brek or porridge

BF

Lunch - 2 x 1oz freezer pots of avocado/butternut squash/sweet potato etc. alternatively I'll give her a slice of toast/veg fingers/fruit to eat away at

BF

BF

Dinner - 1/2 pouch of Ella's kitchen 7month+ or equivalent in home made dinner

BF before bed.

How does that compare to babies of a similar age?

TIA

squizita Sun 17-May-15 16:50:54

Slightly more than my 7+ month old!! smile I started at 6 months she's still on 2 meals and those are just 1 or 2 oz affairs.

I'm giving mine plenty of fat and protein cause the volumes low and her weight gain is a bit slow sad but the hv said it's normal.

squizita Sun 17-May-15 16:52:25

...so basically yeah quantity sounds normal but you can add meat/cheese/fats/pulses not just veg.

ToonLass Sun 17-May-15 18:38:32

Tonight she had whizzed up chicken one pot...I try and make things without salt etc so that she can have what we are having, but if it's not suitable I give her an Ella's pouch...she's had fish/lamb/chicken/beef and seems to really enjoy them! She also loves cheese so give her sticks of cheddar/babybel.

Sometimes she eats quite a lot...sometimes she doesn't seem that interested.

Just worried in over feeding her. She's been on solids for 5 weeks.

I'm getting her weighed in a week so that will be telling!

squizita Sun 17-May-15 18:46:27

Sounds familiar to what we do.

When they 1st wean weight gain can slow. My hv said it's very common (happened to us) and not to worry just make sure she doesn't fill up on low cal veg (though still give some).

ToonLass Sun 17-May-15 19:16:15

She's still taking the same amount of milk so hoping weight gain ok.

Have you noticed a difference in milk intake?

squizita Sun 17-May-15 19:57:11

No and all leaflets/books say not to cut down till 9 or 10 months. smile

The plateau isn't a problem unless it goes on too long. Babies wean around the age they move/talk/play more: the weaning isn't always digested well at first, they're using extra energy ... everything slows.
This was explained to me as dd is 2nd percentile so I found it scary but they weren't worried.

ToonLass Sun 17-May-15 20:20:54

Ah that's reassuring, I suppose it's quite a change for their wee gut.

Unfortunately her food intake isn't making her sleep any better at night confused

squizita Mon 18-May-15 09:53:15

My HV assured me they eat well after a good night.

Well, after feeling doubly wound up about crap nights cause I thought they affected weaning ... she had some great nights and STILL picky! grin Oh well. A whole petit filo pouch and some (2 spoons) of wertabix is ok.

Lonelylass1218 Mon 18-May-15 10:22:28

My lo is 7 months and a bit
He has:

8:30- 7oz bottle then 15mins later a decent amount of porridge with added fruit

12:30- 6oz bottle then 30 mins later a tougher with added fruit and half a mini pancake

16:00- sips of water and dinner which is two ladles of soup and mash, 2 ladles of pasta sauce/veg and some pasta stars, cottage pie, mash and chicken/veg, Tuna etc usually 2 ladles of something plus a little mash or extra veg

Lonelylass1218 Mon 18-May-15 10:22:56

Forgot to add lo has a 8/9oz bottle at 7pm then sleeps through

squizita Mon 18-May-15 10:30:01

Wow that's loads!! shock Adult ladles?

I was going by hv advice and AK/BLW books - a couple of ice cube sizes is a portion for my dd. sad

squizita Mon 18-May-15 10:31:10

...Mind you 2 ladles of pasta and sauce would be an adult portion (for my chunky dh even) in my house so maybe I have a huge ladle! grin

Lonelylass1218 Tue 19-May-15 19:57:31

Yes normal size ladle I think

Kelly1814 Tue 19-May-15 19:58:31

My 20 month old doesn't eat much more than that, it looks good to me!

Lonelylass1218 Tue 19-May-15 19:58:34

LO is only on 27th centile for weight but very long so hv said carry on at this amount for now and she will slow down when ready

squizita Tue 19-May-15 21:26:14

Mine is 2nd percentile for weight but just keeps getting longer ... The hv said "marathon runner or supermodel". grin She's milk mad still but does eat.
Today she had a small bowl of porridge, 2 rice cakes with cream cheese, half an Apricot, lots of chunks out of a chicken leg and 1/4 avocado. Plus gallons of mum milk. Gallons! I'm a husk which is partly why I'm eager for her to eat.

ToonLass Tue 19-May-15 23:19:10

My poor DD has been off her food slightly over the last couple days, I think she is constipated as although a she's having a couple poos a day they are quite hard and like nuggets iykwim?? Did anyone else experience a similar change in bowel movements?
She still managed a small amount of weetabix, some 'salmon surprise' and some homemade fruit crumble.just a couple mouthfuls of each but better than nothing!

squizita Wed 20-May-15 09:17:27

Toon yep what fixed it for me was eliminating BRAT food for a few days (banana, rice, apple, toast) as these firm up poo (so give them when lo is too loose).
I gave pear and soft fruits like plum/apricot with each meal (whole and pouch) and included mashed beans and oats in many meals.
Finished every meal with 1oz water.

If that doesn't work, 1 oz cooled boiled water with a scant teaspoon of brown sugar OR 50/50 prune juice and water twice a day before food or milk works ... but it's messy and big so try food first!!

Lonelylass1218 Wed 20-May-15 11:04:38

I give red fruits each day to help with bowels so LO has two raspberries, 3 blueberries and one strawberries with porridge and then some raspberries and a strawberries with lunch seems to do the job along with sips of water throughout the day. May need lactoluse to get every thing moving if they are very bunged up tho

squizita Wed 20-May-15 11:44:43

Oh and today mine has eaten NOTHING. sad She's not ill. Nothing allergic. Just turned her nose up. sad

Lonelylass1218 Wed 20-May-15 14:56:38

Mine eats everything lol so far two day lo has had 11oz of milk about 2oz of water and porridge with raspberry, blueberries and a large strawberry then a yogurt with fruit and half a mini pancake and then had 3/4 spoon fills of the tomato soup I made her as a taste test lol an it's not even diner time yet, she will have a cottage pie type thing I made with mince, stock, peas, sweet corn and cauliflower mash (pretty nice actually) then another 7/8oz :0

ToonLass Wed 20-May-15 19:32:27

We've had a few poos today and although they are quite firm they are a bit softer and she's passing them more easily....like tonight in the bath!! confused. Thanks for ally our tips, she eats a lot of toast so will try cutting that out for a day or two.

She's now getting upset when she sees the spoon, regardless of what's on it! She still seems interested in finger foods though.

One step forward, two steps back hmm

squizita Wed 20-May-15 22:12:31

I just can't get dd to eat solids some days.

Other days she's fine.

No difference in milk intake. sad sad sad I feel like the hv is going to freak out if she hasn't grown enough next month.

How do I get her to understand if she's hungry food will fill her up? One day she eats a bowl of porridge, a chicken and avocado meal and cheesy crackers.... the next day 1 bite per sitting. sad

squizita Thu 21-May-15 08:36:58

...feeling a bit happier today. She had a "baby bowl" (70g-100g I'd say roughly) of porridge with mascapone in it (soo creamy!) and 1/3 of a fruit pouch. smile
Hope she gums up her lunch too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now