Talk

Advanced search

Slightly constipated baby - gentle remedies?

(13 Posts)
squizita Wed 13-May-15 19:52:08

I'm pretty sure (from mn, babycentre and nhs online) it's caused by starting solids and - recently - eating more protein and carbs compared to the veg/fruit I gave at 6 months. DD is 7 1/2 months and a "picker" with solids, still not cut any bfs yet. Recently started eating more as opposed to throwing! But still small meals. Size of her fist portions only.

Poos aren't too hard or too runny - just big and up to 4 days apart! By the end she's windy and grumpy.
I think it's because she's developed a taste for protein, dairy and carbs. I'm remedying this by giving veg/fruit at the start or making it most of one meal/snack.

Obviously don't want anything too harsh, but would like her a bit more regular.
Tried extra soft/stone fruits, drinks of water and watered down juice, tummy massage and cycle legs.

Any other home remedies? Are baby probiotics good?
She's bf for milk plus water for drinks, and milk feeds every 3 hr.

Ta!

allotherusernamesaretaken Thu 14-May-15 05:46:43

An Ella's prune pouch normally does the trick! And keep up the water

squizita Thu 14-May-15 12:13:35

Cool thanks. Spoke to hv today who said it was quite normal. DD is 2nd percentile so she warned about not cutting fat and protein or over filling with water.smile
This one is gonna be huge lol. The hv is lucky ... We have a track record of pooping on hcp! grin

squizita Thu 14-May-15 16:54:13

She just "went" ... looking at the evidence the mashed kidney bean she had for lunch helped!! [boak emoticon]

Greenstone Sun 17-May-15 20:01:13

I add a prune or dried apricot to things like lentil or beef or chicken stew. It does work!

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Sun 17-May-15 20:08:33

Weetabix and acidic fruit like oranges and kiwis does the trick for DS.

flipflopsonfifthavenue Tue 19-May-15 22:39:00

Pears.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sun 24-May-15 03:59:30

My 6mth old has been constipated so he has had lamb n apricot tagine for dinner last night and sucked on some fresh apricots yesterday so hoping helps him.

Noodledoodledoo Mon 01-Jun-15 20:32:19

My little one loves dried prunes and apricots so I offer these when she seems to be getting a bit constipated. She really suffered about 7 months old and these seemed to do the trick nicely.

Frecklefacedgirls Fri 12-Jun-15 22:13:54

Pureed prunes mixed with natural yoghurt!

polkadotdelight Fri 12-Jun-15 22:18:17

I bought a tiny snack bag of dried prunes last time. I chopped one up into tiny pieces and soaked it in yoghurt overnight. DS is a yoghurt fiend so it worked for us.

Peaceloveandhobnobs Fri 19-Jun-15 09:13:55

When we started weaning DS didn't go for 12 days and I ended up soaking dried prunes and giving him the (diluted) water I'd soaked them in to drink. Did the trick!

PuppyMummy Mon 22-Jun-15 20:19:54

I also use ellas kitchen prune pouch too. I keep a few in!

ds has a few blobs with his porridge or rice pudding once or twice a week to keep things moving and not too hard!

The pears are quite good too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now