Talk

Advanced search

Adding 2nd meal

(12 Posts)
201418 Wed 06-May-15 08:23:55

my two lo's are 6months (10wks corrected) and are on one meal a day. We have been weaning for 3wks now and I feel they are enjoying it and maybe ready for another. When did you add another meal?

WishUponAStar88 Wed 06-May-15 08:27:30

I went up to 2 then 3 meals a day quickly. My dd has just turned 7months and has been on 3 meals for a week or so. However she was term and as your babies were so very prem I don't know whether it should be taken slower? Might be worth chatting to your hv

201418 Wed 06-May-15 08:30:51

Thanks for replying. Our pedant ricin recommended us to start when they were 6months but never really said about when to move on to different meals.

201418 Wed 06-May-15 08:31:22

That was paediatrician.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Wed 06-May-15 08:34:01

Dd is 7 months and I upped it quite quickly.

If you're unsure, then give them a smaller portion and see how they get on.

squizita Wed 06-May-15 17:39:51

I read up (all the usual books) and the consensus seemed to be 1 meal for the 1st month, then 2 for another, then 3 at 8 months+. I'm on 2 at the moment as dd isn't eating a huge volume, I gave them at 7 months. Will switch up to 3, if she's keen, at 8 1/2 or so I reckon.

purplemurple1 Wed 06-May-15 17:47:29

I didnt read anything really just went on how DS seemed with it, he was big and showing signs of readyness at 5 months, we were at 3 meals by about 6.5months, although the first months were quite boring mostly veg with herbs meals.
For ref by 1yr he was eating, 5am breakfast and milk, 8am breakfast, 9,30 snack,11.00 lunch, 1400 snack, 1730 dinner, 1830 super and milk, so we were heading towards a lot of food/meals.

TwoLittleTerrors Wed 06-May-15 18:52:15

The NHS weaning pages says work up to 3 meals at 8-9 months.
www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/solid-foods-weaning.aspx

So the schedule given by squizita fits this perfectly.

Buglife Wed 06-May-15 21:04:42

I was at 3 meals (BLW) midway between 7-8 months because DS enjoyed trying everything and is still chugging back the milk so I thought why not. He's only just in the last couple of weeks (he's nearly 9 months) started eating 'properly' though, before it was learning to hold and chew and taste. He still has a lot of milk! I think with finger foods or BLW it's not really a problem to give food twice a day if you want to, the babies will eat it if they want to or decline if they don't! If after a couple of dad they seem to be refusing milk then go back to one. You'll be able to tell and there are no hard and fast rules. NHS guidelines are very helpful but again, not 'rules'. If you aren't making them finish what they don't want (and I've never seen how you can make a baby eat what they don't want!) then offering food twice won't be a problem. Neither will keeping them at 1, but if you feel you want to try them do. The reason I'm wary of 'schedules' however handy the NHS one is as an overview is that babies and styles of weaning are so wildly different it seems that it can't fit everyone!

DilysMoon Fri 08-May-15 13:39:10

My dd has just gone up to 2 meals at 6 months, we've been weaning for 2 weeks now. Not necessarily every day though and I find if she has a breakfast she only picks at lunch. Also if she has porridge or mashed food from a spoon she'll eat more but finger foods she loses interest quite quickly and doesn't eat as much. Still quite small portions though but I'm just taking it day by day.

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Sat 09-May-15 13:51:13

My hv advised one per week we started at 5mths and did late morning then added in late afternoon a week later we are on week 3 now should added in breakfast last week but haven't as such he does have toast with us at weekend to chew on and sometimes a rice cake after morning school run. We are doing mix of blw n puree and started early due to silent reflux.

dicko1 Sat 09-May-15 20:27:13

My triplets are 8months now (6 corrected) and i started weaning at 6 months quickly introduced the second then only a few weeks ago the third. Now they munch away at 3 meals plus two snacks a day. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now