Oh help! How do I work out what she's reacting to?

(13 Posts)
bronya Fri 24-Apr-15 19:25:13

Eczema. Never had it before, turned up on the second day of weaning her. I know exactly what she's eaten and have avoided the most likely trigger, yet she still has it four days in! Do I go back to milk only for a couple of days then start again? Would baby rice be safe? Will ring HV on Mon but it is now Fri night and it is worse than it was this morning! DD is six months but only just.

TheAuthoress Fri 24-Apr-15 19:27:47

Definitely food related? You haven't changed washing powder / used sunscreen on her etc? What have you fed her so far?

If all else is ruled out then yes, I would stop weaning and go back to milk again until it clears.

dementedpixie Fri 24-Apr-15 19:29:08

What has she eaten?

bronya Fri 24-Apr-15 20:18:39

Same washing powder and softener. In her elbow so no exposure to outside allergens. Blw so a bit random. Carrot then mince on day one. Added in a bit of peach and a bit of banana day 2. Reaction evening of day 2 so went back to carrot and avocado with a bit of mince. Got no worse. Tried houmous to dip it in yesterday and stupidly forgot it had lemon juice in it. That was dinnertime yesterday. Since then has had nothing but a bit of carrot and it's worse. Could it be the citrus working through her system?

bronya Fri 24-Apr-15 20:19:20

That's 5 days I have realised. Bit overtired!!

TwoLittleTerrors Sat 25-Apr-15 11:37:55

Out of that the most likely allergen is the citrus. There's a list on the NHS page I'll try to link.

Have you got some good unperfumed emollient to use?

TwoLittleTerrors Sat 25-Apr-15 11:40:08

It's under food for 0-6mo. Maybe try to stick with the 0-6mo list and see? You can still BLW with this. It's just about baby self feeding. There are lots of veg and fruit to choose from.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/solid-foods-weaning.aspx

TwoLittleTerrors Sat 25-Apr-15 11:40:48

Actually meat seems to be unlikely to cause allergic reaction too according to that list.

bronya Sat 25-Apr-15 13:59:07

Thank you! Her brother got v mild hives from pineapple until he was one, so I think citrus. Have not given solid food today and will try breastmilk with baby rice tonight. I think meat is probably safe too. I am guessing chicken is probably the safest?

Does anyone know how many days it will take to get whatever it is out of her system?

TwoLittleTerrors Sat 25-Apr-15 19:17:20

If it's acidic food I believe it's a skin reaction. My DD1 had it. DD2 had really eczema on her cheeks after eating oranges so I stopped giving acidic food to her too. The HV says to use cream at least 4-6 times a day and if it doesn't improve after a week, I should go back to see the gp. DD2 cheeks are looking much better now after 4 days. It was peeling before!

bronya Sat 25-Apr-15 19:45:58

What cream did you use? I tried sudocrem but that did not help at all. It works for me when I get mild eczema. Mine is contact based not food triggered though..

TwoLittleTerrors Sat 25-Apr-15 20:21:33

I use doublebase. It is prescribed by the gp for DD1's eczema. She had it since a baby so I'm sure it's ok to use on DD2.

Lixie2k Sun 03-May-15 23:43:49

i was advised to try one new food every 3 days to test for reactions, maybe go back to milk then when it clears try starting food again with this procedure, 1 food every 3 days, if no reaction then keep using it but if you see a reaction you kow too avoid it from then on. hope that helps xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now