Talk

Advanced search

official advice?

(4 Posts)
ruth1104 Wed 11-Feb-15 21:12:58

my 15 week ds has never slept well and is currently going through a phase of feeding every hour. Today my dh (went to the appointment while i had a napsmile ) was told by my health visitor to just start weaning him in 2 weeks, when hes 17. This advice seems a little bonkers to me and ive no intention of following it, especially as ds has a cows milk allergy and i understand breastfeeding for as long as possible and not introducing solids til 6 months might help protect him from other allergies. But is this the official 'health visitor' line?! what were you told?

ruth1104 Wed 11-Feb-15 21:13:52

*in 2 weeks when hes 17 weeks! sleep deprivation kicking in!

CultureSucksDownWords Wed 11-Feb-15 21:24:03

The NHS advice (which the HV should be based on) is to wait till around 6 months and definitely not before 17 weeks. So what she said is not absolutely contrary to that advice. I can't see how weaning at 17 weeks is going to be helpful though.

I wonder whether HVs, when faced with sleep deprived parents, feel the need to offer something as a possible solution rather than having to say that there's not much that can be done about it.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Wed 11-Feb-15 21:24:19

I didn't see a HV after 2 weeks old so didn't get any advice on weaning! I just went on the NHS 6 month advice. Although she could sit up unaided before 6 months I didn't think she particularly showed any further signs of being ready, and although she was an awful sleeper I didn't think a few mouthfuls of carrot would make a massive difference!

I think 17 weeks is given as the absolute earliest weaning should happen, it seems to be quite an old fashioned view to me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: