Talk

Advanced search

How fast can I get baby onto foods?

(11 Posts)
ApplesTheHare Wed 11-Feb-15 19:30:34

Hi all

About to start weaning dd, and was wondering how quickly I can introduce new foods - i.e. should you just give one thing at a time for a few days in case they have a reaction? Also, would a bad reaction to something specific happen fairly immediately or a few days later?

Galvanized Wed 11-Feb-15 19:34:03

As long as you're starting at 6 months then no need to do it food by food, just go for it. An allergic reaction would be immediate but it is extremely rare, do you have a family history of allergies?

ApplesTheHare Wed 11-Feb-15 19:56:11

Luckily no, but dd has got severe reflux, so I'm slightly worried certain foods will set it off confused I want the weaning process to be fun and enjoyable for her so I don't want to repeatedly give her anything that will cause her pain.

squizita Wed 11-Feb-15 19:57:09

I was worrying about this as everything says to do it 1 food per 3 days if anyone has asthma. My dh has asthma but no history of food allergies either side of the family.

Should we still just plough ahead at 3 months?

squizita Wed 11-Feb-15 19:57:46

SIX months. Sausage fingers + phone.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Wed 11-Feb-15 21:17:28

All that 'food a day' stuff is very dated advice for much younger babies. Unless you have serious family issues, just dive in.

BikeRunSki Wed 11-Feb-15 21:23:31

We gave assorted allergieson both sides of the family. With weaning, I did BLW from 6 months. Ds took to it straight away and had all foods foods pretty much straight off. DD took a little longer - her choice - and spent a couple of weeks chewing on rice cakes before venturing further.

ApplesTheHare Wed 11-Feb-15 21:23:55

Squizita I'm glad you've said that as we've got a lot of asthma in the family (I've got it as well) and I didn't know there was any w[ceaning advice around it.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Wed 11-Feb-15 21:30:09

I have just read allergy UK and they only seem to say three day spacing for high allergen foods - peanuts etc - not everything

ApplesTheHare Wed 11-Feb-15 21:38:59

Oh thanks Penguins! I didn't know there was an allergy uk smile

squizita Wed 11-Feb-15 21:42:47

Phew. Was thinking we'd not have her weaned till school at that rate! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: