Talk

Advanced search

Am I over feeding my DD?

(30 Posts)
Courtney91 Sat 07-Feb-15 08:29:43

So we started weaning DD just after New Years when she was 5 months to start getting her use to different tastes now she is 6 months and loving food I feel like I'm over feeding her constantly.
Our routine goes something like this

7.30-8am. Fruity porridge or wheatabix followed by 6oz of milk
10am. Puree fruit or petits filous. Sometimes a 4oz bottle
Then she naps for around 1 1/2 to 2 hours
12.30pm 3-4 ice cube of different veg (this is demolished in seconds) with 7 oz bottle
2pm Puree fruit or petits filous the opposite to what she had in the morning
Nap between 1-2 hours
3-4pm 7oz bottle
5-30/6pm what ever me and DH have for dinner mushed up sometimes followed by dessert sometimes, custard or yoghurt. DD may also have a 3 oz bottle at this time
7.30/8 bedtime bottle 7oz

DD will then sleep thru till the morning. Since feeding she has only dropped 1 oz of milk. She will always take food when offered to her, but feel she is having all the milk and food that she will pop!

She is a healthy weight and very active baby (does not stop still although she can't Crawl yet)
Any advice would be great.

Sirzy Sat 07-Feb-15 08:33:08

That does sound a lot, I would probably start replacing the snacks with "finger foods" now she is 6 months

TurnOverTheTv Sat 07-Feb-15 08:39:39

My youngest is 4 now, but it does sound an awful lot. That's 3 meals, a snack, a pudding, and up to five bottles!

I'm sure our routine was
Bottle on waking 5oz
Porridge for breakfast (a few spoons)
Half a sandwich for lunch
5oz bottle at 3ish
Dinner at 5 (a few spoonfuls again)
Bottle 6oz at bedtime.

TurnOverTheTv Sat 07-Feb-15 08:41:46

Oh and maybe a banana after lunch. There is also quite a lot of sweet things in your menu. Is she actually wanting food, or are you giving her because it's breakfast/lunch/dinner time?

Incapinka Sat 07-Feb-15 08:45:19

DD is 6.5 months. She currently has milk upon waking (bf so not much as drying up!)
830 porridge and then something to gnaw on eg half a breadstick

10 milk (approx 5-6oz)

1 lunch eg half a sweet potato

2pm milk

5pm bit of crumpet/toast and some yoghurt

630pm milk

She may then sleep through or like last night wake up twice!

Courtney91 Sat 07-Feb-15 08:54:45

I tried her with finger food (toast, carrot stick, cucumber etc,) but she since she has got teeth she bites and swallows she chews her mouth like she is chewing it but isn't actually chewing the food.
If I don't feed her when I eat she watches, eyes from plate to mouth and back and keeps opening her mouth then when I have finished she will cry until she has food. She never turns her head away from food and she always opens her mouth.
I feel cruel taking food away from her if she is actually hungry.
Thanks all grin

Sirzy Sat 07-Feb-15 08:56:05

They don't eat fingers foods and first its all about them learning what to do with them

MarianneSolong Sat 07-Feb-15 08:57:33

My only comment would be that petit filous - and some other commercial flavoured yogurts - are very very highly sweetened.

Courtney91 Sat 07-Feb-15 08:59:01

Yes a lot of sweet in her menu (I have very sweet tooth sad) so not very good at savoury options i make pretty much all my own food what could I offer instead?

Gingerandcocoa Sat 07-Feb-15 09:00:34

It sounds quite a lot to me, but then every baby is different! My DS is 7mo and very talk (96th percentile!) and he will have some fruit in the morning (3/4 of a banana or half a papaya, for example, then some vegetable purée at noon and some porridge (sometimes mixed with fruit) in the evening. Plus perhaps 4 bottles of 7oz throughout the day and another one at night (unfortunately).

Gingerandcocoa Sat 07-Feb-15 09:00:45

Tall* not talk lol

Courtney91 Sat 07-Feb-15 09:01:15

Sirzy: what ever is put Infront of her goes straight in her mouth, but she chokes, a lot from not chewing. I find myself scoping a lot of big chunk out of her mouth

MarianneSolong Sat 07-Feb-15 09:03:38

I think I was doing more baby rice and mashed/pureed veg at that stage. (It's a long time ago!)

Courtney91 Sat 07-Feb-15 09:05:26

Gingerandcocoa: my DD was on the 98th percentile at 4 months (not been measured since) and 17 10 at her last weight in (Wednesday) so she is a big baby. I have a very big appetite so maybe she just takes after me?

TurnOverTheTv Sat 07-Feb-15 09:19:40

Maybe I'm not feeding my 3 year old enough! She's only 22lb :-) can you give her more savoury finger foods for snack? Rice cakes, toast and marmite, scrambled eggs, crumpet, cheese on toast?

Courtney91 Sat 07-Feb-15 09:28:53

She was born 9.2 so always been a big baby. Should I offer those at night as her evening meal or during the day instead of the 2 snacks?

Courtney91 Sat 07-Feb-15 09:30:31

Sorry just reread your message I will try this morning how she goes with it as a snack. How did you stop your LO ramming food in her mouth? Or is that just something my DD decides to do?

HumptyDumptyBumpty Sat 07-Feb-15 09:33:42

My DD was nearly 10lbs, and when first weaned, ate this kind of amount (though she preferred savoury, as it happens). She's slowed down a lot on solids, and reduced milk feeds - I thought it would never happen!

One easy (ish) savoury finger food that you can make, freeze and reheat is american (fluffy) pancakes with veg in - make the batter, omitting sugar and salt, add puréed or finely chopped cooked veg, fry into pancakes, cool and freeze. You can add cheese too, so there's protein - just grate it into batter.

Marchhairy Sat 07-Feb-15 09:35:49

My DS was probably having similar at this age. He had huge growth spurt about 6-months. He was very busy and always skinny. He gradually dropped most of the milk and stayed eating similar quantities till about 2.5.
I gave up with ice cubes as he ate so many of them!
By 7 months he was 100% finger foods so I knew it wasn't me over feeding!

OrangeMochaFrappucino Sat 07-Feb-15 09:37:49

My babies were/are both small but they both started eating loads when weaning. Their nappies changed overnight - and I did blw so it was all finger foods/self feeding. I started a thread on here because I was confused by all the advice that babies don't really eat much til they're a year old. By 7mo mine would eat a bowl of porridge for breakfast after bf, something like scrambled egg on toast for lunch and a main meal like spaghetti bolognese for dinner. They are to appetite and some days they'd eat a lot. I'd give soft fruit or banana cake or similar for snacks. They both bf and dropped feeds fairly quickly though I have no idea how much they were taking. I think some babies just take to solids really well.

Also, I gave plain Greek yoghurt which they loved so you could try that if you are worried about sweet yoghurts.

namealreadytaken Sat 07-Feb-15 09:47:32

My 7 month old started weaning at New Year too and currently has - 6am 6oz bottle of formula, 8am porridge made with formula, 12pm pureed dinner followed by natural full fat yogurt mixed with pureed fruit, 4pm same as lunch but different meal/fruit, 7pm porridge made with formula and about 3 oz of milk from bottle. I never really give snacks as he doesn't seem to need them but will let him play with some sliced up fruit or veg at mealtimes & I make sure he has a cup of water to hand at all times.

Courtney91 Sat 07-Feb-15 09:49:11

Thank-all that's a great help grin

Yes marchhairy my DD is very active and skinny (growing out of 6-9 clothes because of her height, but can't keep 9-12 trousers up because she hasn't got a belly)

I will try more savoury and those pancakes sound tasty!

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sat 07-Feb-15 09:56:06

My 15 month old doesn't eat that much confused, I wish she did! Agree with replacing some of the sweet stuff with savoury finger foods. Petits filous are absolutely full of sugar.

RitaOrange Sat 07-Feb-15 10:11:49

My DS was the same .
I BF though so Ive no idea how many oz of milk a 6 month old should have.
He had:
BF on waking followed a little while later by
Porridge made with BM ,sometimes mashed banana
BF mid morning
Pureed meal followed by fruit ( was 20 years ago before BLW!)
BF- nap 2 hours.
Mashed banana or avocado or mashed sweet potato followed by a small yogurt.
BF -bed
Odd bits of breadstick ,grated cheese, cooked veg whatever we were having etc to chomp on ,handle etc.
He did the plate to mouth thing and would cry inconsolably ,big real sad tears if we didn't give him anygrin
It makes me chuckle when all the BLWers go on about forcing puree down babies- he was like a baby bird !

Anyway he is now 21, tall(6.4) and slim, eats anything and very fit and healthy.
Maybe swap some of the sweet stuff for avocado, sweet potato etc.

CornishYarg Sat 07-Feb-15 10:12:44

Ramming finger foods in their mouths is pretty typical. No need to stop it as it's how they learn: shove too much in, gag, repeat until in time they get the message to chew and generally put less in! And definitely don't scoop food out of her mouth as you risk pushing it in further and causing her to choke.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: