Talk

Advanced search

How many oz of milk for baby rice?

(11 Posts)
ApplesTheHare Wed 04-Feb-15 20:20:41

How much milk do you use in your baby rice? Asking because I'd like to store expressed milk in the right quantities. Thanks!

AnythingNotEverything Wed 04-Feb-15 20:23:01

If you store it in bags in ounces you can add it in bits.

(Or just give baby some real food around 6 months)

ohisay Wed 04-Feb-15 21:08:19

depends on the amount and consistency you want to end up with, and what else you are mixing it with too.

TheLondoner22 Wed 04-Feb-15 21:11:37

Wouldn't even bother with baby rice, it's just a thickener, like we would use cornflour.

Wait for weaning & go straight for the porridge smile

ApplesTheHare Thu 05-Feb-15 10:05:59

Oh dear, I actually meant baby porridge, which I'm assuming is the same as normal porridge? I don't really want to store individual ounces of milk because bags are expensive. Dd is 5 months so my stat mat pay has kicked in and I'm tightening all of our belts!

For some reason I seem to have baby rice on the brain atm despite not planning to give dd any confused

AnythingNotEverything Thu 05-Feb-15 10:15:30

That makes more sense. Baby rice is horrible and pointless stuff IMHO.

Re: porridge - Boots sell some that's gluten free which is good for pre- 6 months. Otherwise Ready Brek or Weetabix is fine. They're pretty low salt anyway, but the volume going in at first will be so small it won't be an issue.

How is your pumping? If you pumped, say, 4oz, then it will keep in the fridge for a few days so you could just add it as you need. Could you pump 4-5 oz once a week?

Tbh I used cartons of formula, opened one day, used the next day, so approx 24 hours later, and then there's the rest away or have it to DD in a cup as practice. From 6 months you can use full fat cows milk.

There are recipes online for porridge fingers which are great for a more blw/finger food approach.

ApplesTheHare Thu 05-Feb-15 12:24:51

Thanks Anything, that's really helpful. I have pretty good supply milk-wise so it's easy to hand express 3-4 oz. I do that whenever I can and chuck in the freezer so I've got quite a stash, and it sounds like that amount will be fine. I was just worried that you might need 9oz or something to make it up with!

I'm aiming to move more of a blw approach when she turns 6 months in a couple of weeks, but we've been advised to try weaning early due to dd's dreadful reflux. If it doesn't help I'll hold off for another couple of weeks and try again smile

AnythingNotEverything Thu 05-Feb-15 13:25:50

Sorry - didn't mean to sound like the weaning police grin

An ounce of milk will make more than enough porridge for each time. Might be easier to store it fresh rather than freezing. I think KellyMom has info on how long you can store EBM for. I know it's longer than you'd think.

ApplesTheHare Thu 05-Feb-15 14:14:27

Haha don't worry I didn't think you were weaning police grin

Thanks about quantity, that's good to know, will see how dd gets on!

CornishYarg Thu 05-Feb-15 14:44:48

Also, don't forget that at 6 months, you can use full fat cows milk to make up her cereal. Of course, there's no problem with continuing with EBM but it might be an easier option.

ApplesTheHare Thu 05-Feb-15 19:17:54

Oh thanks Cornish. I didn't know that! I was just wanting to use up random stored ebm so am not wedded to using just that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: