Advanced search

adapting this meal for 7mo

(12 Posts)
cheeseburgerandfries Sun 01-Feb-15 18:13:01

Im not very confident when giving my baby "what we are having" so have been using a lot of jars. I would rather she ate the same meals as us.

I'm going to use pork chops, pork sausages, tinned tomato, chilli flakes, tomato puree, garlic puree, peppers, onions, carrot, turnip, pepper (no salt), mushroom, beef stock (knorr stock pot melt thing). Then pop it all in the slow cooker.

Could I give this to my 7mo. I'm not concerned about texture it's more so the ingredients? Im guessing should leave out the chilli flakes until I have removed a portion for her? What about the pepper and garlic purée?

Thanks so much!

NovemberRainbow Sun 01-Feb-15 18:15:44

How much salt is the stock? That would be my main concern.

timefortea79 Sun 01-Feb-15 18:16:33

The stock will have quite a high salt content, so that's something to bear in mind. You can buy baby stock cubes which are much lower in salt.

Sounds delicious though!

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 01-Feb-15 18:17:32

I'd avoid the sausages and the stock due to the salt.

The rest depends on how far into weaning you are. If she's experienced alot of these ingredients already then go ahead. of however she's mainly been on veg combos containing three or so different ingredients then I'd not risk the richness of the garlic or tomatoes either.

Honestly I'd probably just do say mashed carrot and turnip and some pork.

Pointlessfan Sun 01-Feb-15 18:18:28

My baby has always loved garlic so that should be ok. I'd be concerned about the salt too, otherwise it sounds great.

ByTheWishingWell Sun 01-Feb-15 18:19:53

I would use baby stock cubes, and add the salt in for yourselves after you have taken a portion out. I would also leave out the chilli flakes.

The rest of it, in theory, is fine. Has your DD eaten some of the ingredients before? It's quite a lot of new foods all at once if not. (Although I did stick obsessively to the four day rule until after DD was 1, so I may be overcautious!)

ByTheWishingWell Sun 01-Feb-15 18:20:32

X-posts with everyone blush

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sun 01-Feb-15 18:20:35

Garlic is fine. DD likes chilli flakes too. Stock pots are very salty so id stick to low salt stock cubes. Sausages also not great for a 7 month old.

cheeseburgerandfries Sun 01-Feb-15 18:24:34

Thank you all for your quick replies! The stock contains 4g of salt once made up to 500ml. Is this too much?

I probably wouldn't give her a lot of the meat- more just the chunks of veg (maybe a few small chunks of the pork). So would I be ok to have the sausages cooking in with it as long as I don't serve her them or would it make it too salty?

I'm sorry for all my questions but I am so clueless.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sun 01-Feb-15 18:26:36

That sounds like quite a lot of salt to me but I'm not expert smile. I'm sure cooking it with the sausages will be fine.

cheeseburgerandfries Sun 01-Feb-15 18:30:01

I have just read that the total salt would be 68% of the RDA for an adult! That seems ridiculous. Me and DH could easily finish off the full lot of this.

Will start looking into low salt alternatives. I am quite shocked. Thanks all!

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sun 01-Feb-15 18:33:21

We use low salt stock and then adults can add extra salt if needed. You'll probably find with the meat flavourings and chilli flakes you won't notice the lack of salt anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now