Advanced search

What do you cook? 10 month baby

(17 Posts)
Besmonetha Tue 13-Jan-15 11:57:13

Just curious of what other people cook for their little people. At the moment I have pork casserole and tomato and beef stew on high rotation. Both work with potatoes, rice and pasta.

Also, had an odd conversation with do yesterday and he suggested that I make a stew using a bit of cider that I could give to my little person. Am I the only one who thinks that this is a recipe for a stomach ache?

Besmonetha Tue 13-Jan-15 11:59:11

Meant to be that I had a conversation with dp not do. Autocorrect !

Ragwort Tue 13-Jan-15 12:10:11

My DS ate more or less what we had, just mashed up.

Doesn't alcohol evaporate when it is cooked, I don't think a small amount would matter but I am very lax about those sorts of things grin.

Besmonetha Tue 13-Jan-15 12:13:12

Yes, alcohol evaporates at 80°c. Just seems a bit wrong. I'm not super anal about this.

Mrsteddyruxpin Tue 13-Jan-15 12:18:28

I cook diners such as carrots, parsnips, brocolli and mash with a little cheese sauce

I stir fry garlic, onions, sweet peppers, courgettes, mushrooms etc and add boiled red lentils, pasta and little passatta - some herbs if I have some in and this is a real favourite

Little but of our dinner (Shepards pie today)

Sometimes finger foods - cubes of cheese, sliced carrots, kiwi fruit, banana and tost fingers (not all at once!)

Scrambled egg

Salmon (I get it in lidl in the freezer section in a black box as its boneless) with brocolli and mash

Chicken casserole or beef stew

Sweet potato is great also

I am going to do cous cous and maybe pasta ristotto soon (have a recipe bood for toddlers and haven't used it ) bit busy

Mrsteddyruxpin Tue 13-Jan-15 12:19:12

How do you do your pork casserole? Sounds lovely.

Besmonetha Tue 13-Jan-15 12:28:21

Pork casserole. Really easy, lightly fry an onion a stick of celery and a carrot or two until slightly soft. Throw in a couple of big spoons of gluten free flour (I use this because it WILL NOT MAKE LUMPS). Stir until it doesn't look floury. Throw in the chopped pork stir until it's not raw on the outside (I don't have the patience to wait until it's brown)

Crumble in a stock cube and a bit of tomato puree. Add in herbs if you want, I use bay because my bush is huge (f'nar). Add hot water from kettle, put on the slow cooker or in the oven if it's on. Bob's your uncle, few hours later, mash in the carb if you are using it. Done.

I can get this in the slow cooker I'm under 15 if I'm motivated.

Besmonetha Tue 13-Jan-15 12:30:27

Thanks for that Mrsteadyruxpin.
How do you do your chicken casserole. I do like a casserole, makes for easy dinner times!

bambinibop Tue 13-Jan-15 12:32:36

I give my 11 month old what we are having. I never add any salt anyway and I make my own chicken stock and vegetable stock. Last night we had salmon with Cannellini beans, spinach , asparagus , courgette and potatos with lemon and mustard sauce which she loved. Tonight were having chicken and broccoli with noodles

If I add alcohol I still let my dd have it as it's usually been cooking in the slow cooker all day anyway.

Lj8893 Tue 13-Jan-15 12:37:06

DD (14 months) usually just has what we have had/having. She loves pasta though. If we haven't eaten something appropriate for her, fish fingers and mashed potato and peas does the trick.

Lowesy Tue 13-Jan-15 12:48:28

Following with interest. Never sure on the guidelines but does anyone use "normal" stock cubes? My 10mo DS would be delighted to eat whatever I serve up (unlike 3yo DD - a whole other thread!) I never add salt but wasn't sure about stock cubes confused

Ragwort Tue 13-Jan-15 13:39:10

I always used normal stock cubes, but as I said earlier, I am incredibly lax about all the 'guidelines' that are published. grin.

donkir Tue 13-Jan-15 13:50:16

Try the sainsburys little ones website they have some great everyday recipes for babies that are also great for grown ups.
I tend to batch cook everything and then put in freezer bags.

luckiestgirlintheworld Wed 14-Jan-15 20:52:11

You cook separate meals for the baby?
My 10 month old gets whatever we had for dinner the night before. I thought everyone did this.

LindsayS79 Wed 14-Jan-15 21:16:54

I cook separate meals as I don't have dinner and DH works nights. I use a lot of ellas kitchen and annabel k recipes for things like chicken goujons and stews etc. At 18months she's going through a fussy stage though so a lot of my batch freezing is sitting unused!

blushingmare Sun 18-Jan-15 23:08:33

I just save portions of what we had the night before for DC's dinner. If it's unsuitable -ie. Too spicey/salty I'll do an emergency pasta mixed with veg and philly or omelette, or fish potatoes and veg or similar. Homemade soup is going down well at lunchtimes at the moment with baby and toddler alike. I use the Waitrose fresh made up stock as it has no salt at all.

midnight1983 Sun 18-Jan-15 23:17:04

I use baby stock cubes from boots, which have no salt at all. I tend to cook baby versions of what we're having and freeze batches. I don't give him what we're having as I think he's too little for salt and normal stock cubes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now