Advanced search

Ds refusing all baby foods

(4 Posts)
nugget05 Mon 12-Jan-15 14:24:27

Ds is 7 months old and has had a really bad cold/cough recently (still got a runny nose and sore throat) he's now associating eating with choking as he'd cough while eating and the food would get stuck and I'd have to hit his back until he threw up the food sad. He's not interested in his milk anyway, ongoing problem since he was 6 weeks old, so I'm trying desperately to get anything into him. He's happy to eat what I'm eating so I'm going to make meals that I can mush up or just give to him but I have no ideas at all. Any suggestions are welcome and thank you in advance smile

Mummy2Bjodie13 Mon 12-Jan-15 21:50:00

Don't panic and don't stress over feeding as they pick up on your emotions right!??
Perhaps make it a playful thing, try different seating, of course best position is sat up right so his wind pipe is straight.... Maybe get in touch with health visitor for further support as they have contacts with speech and language therapists to aid you. Bless.

Chunderella Wed 14-Jan-15 13:15:05

They often lose their appetites for a bit when they've been poorly. I'm not surprised he isn't keen if he's still got symptoms, you may find he's a lot better in a couple of weeks.

Otherwise, at 7 months they can have most things. Just no honey or whole grapes and easy on the salt. You might also want to take spicy stuff slowly as the nappies can be ungodly. What sort of things do you as a family like to eat? Odds are, lots of them will be suitable. Does he prefer to feed himself or be spoonfed?

Lweji Wed 14-Jan-15 13:28:25

When you say baby foods, is it the store ones, or food you prepare at home?
I'd make some soups with protein in them, as with colds we should give mostly liquids anyway. And put finger foods within reach, such as bits of fruit and vegetable.

Colds block the nose and the food will also have much less flavour. I'm sure he'll be fine once the cold is over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now