Talk

Advanced search

Reducing breast feeds with weaning?

(6 Posts)
nello Sun 11-Jan-15 17:28:45

DS is nearly 7 months and started gradually with solids at 5 months. He now has three meals a day, eating a varying amount at each meal. I have kept up the breast feeds as they were before he started with solids, so our day looks like this more or less:

6am wake up: Breast feed
7am: Breakfast
8am: Nap (1/2-1 hour)
9am: Breast feed
11.30: Nap (1/2 - 1 hour)
12.30: Breast Feed
1.30: Lunch
3pm: Nap
3.30/4: Breast Feed
5/5.30: Dinner
7pm Bedtime breast feed

Does this look about right? I've noticed that DC is not breast feeding for very long and sometimes refuses and I am wondering if I am trying to feed too frequently. I've looked at the A Karmel book and she suggests the following for 7MO:

Breakfast + milk
mid morning milk
Lunch + water
mid afternoon milk
Dinner + water
Bedtime milk.

Should I drop the 12.30 (approx) breast feed and have 4 rather than 5 feeds in the day? Is this still enough milk for DC?

Also - as I approach 12 months (when I plan to breast feed no more) I want to replace breast feeds with snacks. DC is not taking a bottle, so I plan on replacing a breast feed at a time with a sippy cup of formula (DC will only drink a little) plus a snack such as a yoghurt or piece of cheese. This is ok? When can I start dropping the feeds?

Thanks for your help smile

KirstyM2014 Mon 12-Jan-15 21:00:53

My little one is 8 1\2 months and has just started nursery she has bf in morning and night now with a little formula during day depending on how she feels but at 7 1\2 months she started to eat more solid food so she would have bf in morning then breakfast then a little bf before lunch and one at around 3pm then tea and bf at night her morning feed was normal a quick one but the afternoon one a little longer I would say go with flow offer if u think your lo is hungry x

Bumblebzz Thu 15-Jan-15 12:31:11

You could try doing lunch earlier, I have a similar aged baby and I give him lunch at 11:30am (no later as he can't last!) then he has a long nap AFTER that 12/12:30-2-2:30 approx).
So it's
6am ish bfeed
7 or 7:30 breakfast
8:30-9:30 ish nap
10 am bfeed
11:30 lunch
12:30-2:30 nap
2:30/3 bfeed
4:30 or 5pm dinner
6pm bfeed
6:30/7 bed

Then he feeds once or twice in the night.
I offer water with meals (but he only has tiny sips).

Bumblebzz Thu 15-Jan-15 12:32:48

Whatever about my schedule (ignore by all means) your gap between breakfast andhbch is huge 7am till 1:30pm prob not sustainable into toddlerdom

nello Thu 22-Jan-15 16:49:17

thanks for sharing, this is really helpful. I was thinking that I should probably do lunch before his middle nap - vaguely remember doing this with DD1. Also, you on 2 naps, we on 3…maybe I should try and cut out this third nap and see how he manages.

thanks.

Littlef00t Mon 09-Feb-15 11:55:37

It was the mid morning breastfeed that naturally stopped when dd started weaning. Big breakfast meant she often wasn't hungry til 11:30 so just gave small snack and early lunch. Before long lunch at 12 was fine and she didn't even need a snack.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: