Talk

Advanced search

BLW - baby getting agitated

(16 Posts)
Eminybob Thu 08-Jan-15 20:02:22

I've been BLWing for nearly a week and it seemed to be going fine. DS isn't actually eating much but seemed pretty happy smushing the food about and chewing on bits and bobs.

But the last couple of days he's only lasted maybe 5 mins of this before starting to get agitated. He'll start wingeing and trying to rub the food into his eyes and then start crying.

I feel like he's not enjoying himself any more, this dinner time he started crying as soon as I put him in the highchair. Any advice? Thanks.

Eminybob Fri 09-Jan-15 07:19:34

Bump

Eminybob Fri 09-Jan-15 14:35:46

sad

ElphabaTheGreen Fri 09-Jan-15 14:40:07

Will he take anything off a spoon for you? Maybe he's frustrated at not eating anything?

I did BLW with my first. Wasn't all it's cracked up to be. Won't be doing it with DS2. Will do mix of purees and finger foods.

Hobby2014 Fri 09-Jan-15 14:40:33

Rubbing food in his eyes, to me means he is tired. (And the food is just on his hands.) could you try doing it at a different time?

HerewardTheTired Fri 09-Jan-15 14:41:26

I didn't do blw, but just bumping for you so someone knowledgeable comes along.
Mine didn't like having dirty hands, refused to eat anything messy confused

Gautami Fri 09-Jan-15 14:41:56

Is he hungry and getting frustrated?

HerewardTheTired Fri 09-Jan-15 14:42:51

Haha, x-post. Must type faster!

firsttimekat Fri 09-Jan-15 14:43:24

We've just started too, so not an expert by any means but some things I've found. Could he be hungry? At first it's about tastes etc rather than filling up so its best not to try when they are actually hungry, could you try doing it a bit after a milk feed? Does he like his high chair? Would he be happier on you lap? It's a messy one, but might give him some reassurance? Are you giving things that are easy to mush in his mouth I know DS got really frustrated when we gave something that was too hard and he just wasn't getting anything.

PurpleStripedSock Fri 09-Jan-15 14:44:41

Try when he's not tired (as rubbing eyes and getting frustrated suggests he is) but if he's not interested, take him away from the food/table after five minutes. It's a slow process the old weaning. Food is a brand new concept/experience for them.

WiggleGinger Fri 09-Jan-15 14:45:26

I would say he's tired.
Perhaps change the time you are feeding him, bring it forward by 1/2 an hour?
Whizz up some of the food you are giving him & spoon feed whilst keeping some back (ie carrot baton) allowing him to feed himself.

Eminybob Fri 09-Jan-15 15:47:13

Thanks. Being tired makes sense. I'll try just after nap times I think from now on.
I've tried spoon feeding, but he seems to want to grab the spoon out of my hand. I do give him bits with a spoon, yogurt, porridge etc but he's not fussed about those much either.

NeedaDiscoNap Fri 09-Jan-15 15:53:55

When do you feed him Eminy? Best to feed half an hour to an hour after a bottle/breast feed so that he's not too hungry. At this stage he should be experimenting with food - smushing technical term it and getting used to textures. Don't get too stressed about how much he eats or when - my DD (7 mo) usually has two meals a day to fit round her naps and bottles. I agree with pp that he does sound a wee bit tired. Also, you can do BLW and some spoon feeding too - don't worry about sticking exclusively it self-feeding.

NeedaDiscoNap Fri 09-Jan-15 15:54:39

to not it!

Kelly1814 Fri 09-Jan-15 15:58:03

BLW did not work for us. Finger foods and purees loads better. Try giving him his own spoon? Then as he's waving it around you can get a few of your own in.....works well for us.

NeedaDiscoNap Fri 09-Jan-15 16:00:02

also - my DD hates her high chair (and is a bit small for it) so am feeding her in her bumbo seat with the tray attached and she's much happier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now