Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

7.5 month weaning not happening. Don't know what to do.

(3 Posts)
Banana82 Mon 05-Jan-15 09:57:47

I am after a bit of advice as I don't know where I am going wrong.

My little boy is now 7.5 months and we started weaning at 6 months. He really got into the first tastes which were mainly in the morning about half hour after his bottle. Spoon fed purees. He was then hospitalised with bronchiolitus so weaning stopped for a couple of weeks while he recovered. We then started again and he began to wolf down his morning porridge with some finger foods such as grated cheese, toast, carrot sticks, melon etc.

Now the last week he is point blank refusing to try things. I put him in his high chair and he sees me preparing his food and screams the place down. I have also been giving breakfast 1.5 hrs after his morning bottle but the last few days he's been getting tired then and wants a nap. Is this normal for a 7.5 month baby to want to nap 1.5 hours after getting up? Sometimes he will be awake for 4 hours til he next bottle but most of the time his food time coincides with when he's too tired.

He was 6 weeks early so I guess only just 6 months old corrected. I am really trying to be relaxed about this but it's just getting harder. He will happily hold food and try things himself but he's not actually eating that much.

Am I doing something wrong? My friends babies of the same age are now on 3 established meals a day and rapidly dropping their milk. I just worry that another month will go by and he'll still not have progressed.

Any ideas welcome!

JuniperTisane Mon 05-Jan-15 16:22:13

Don't worry about him not eating much. DS1 didn't really get the hang of eating until about 9.5 months when it all suddenly just clicked and he started shovelling food in. Its quite normal for some babies to not be very interested in it.

If he's stressing as soon as he sees you start preparing food then take the stress away. Have a load of stuff ready prepared while he's sleeping to just whip out of the fridge when you are ready to eat, sit on the floor with him and eat a sandwich or whatever you have, put it within easy reach of him and if he's interested he might steal a bit. Make it easy and don't force the issue at all. When you finish, take it away and do something else.

Remember milk is the main source of nutrition for some time yet. Give him a feed 30 minutes to an hour before and you will hopefully hit the sweet spot between full and starving.

Squeakyheart Mon 05-Jan-15 16:24:01

Apparently weaning is like sleeping it's all a phase!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now