Talk

Advanced search

will my ds ever be able to eat with a plate etc?!

(8 Posts)
feekerry Sat 20-Dec-14 20:51:16

Ds is coming up 11m. Amazing little eater since 6m old. Have done blw with both mine with no issues. But... I cannot give ds his food on a plate/bowl etc. or give him any form of container or cutlery. If I do it gets launched across the room instantly or smacked against table etc. he absolutely will not be spoon fed. So if I try give him yoghurt or porridge etc it instantly ends up thrown across room. Every time. I resort to putting runny stuff straight on table but it's impossible for him to eat, and massively messy.
My dd by this age could tolerate picking her food off a plate etc.
I have those stick on suction bowls etc but he sees it as a challenge to get them off. Which he does. Easily!!

MoreSnowPlease Sat 20-Dec-14 20:55:28

Ds1 was the same but now rays well from a plate at 2.5.

I used to just take the food away if he started to throw it. Seemed to work after s while but he was older than 11m

OneHorseOpenSandwich Sat 20-Dec-14 20:56:43

Give him the spoon, you hold the bowl, he's old enough to spoonfeed himself with maybe a bit of help with the scooping. If he throws the spoon, say no and give back. If he does it again, take the yummy runny stuff away and replace with something dull?

BikeRunSki Sat 20-Dec-14 21:01:31

DS was similar. Those yoghurts and fruit purée pouches were a godsend.

littleducks Sat 20-Dec-14 21:02:22

I had this but suddenly at nearly 14 months if has totally stopped. He still likes to dramatically push the bowl away from him when he had finished and will chuck it if you were to push it bank to him to encourage him to eat more. He now likes to bang his fork on his plate though hmm

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sat 20-Dec-14 21:23:56

Gosh at 13 months my DD is nowhere near ready to eat from a plate, she would just pick it up and launch it! I didn't realise it was an issue, I'm fretting now blush

feekerry Sat 20-Dec-14 21:40:24

No no don't fret gottobe maybe dd just did particularly well at that thing. Sounds like it's the norm to be like ds at this age.
Forgot about pouches. Tried a fruit one recently and he took it okay as long as he could hold and squeeze it. Partly in his mouth. Partly over the wall.
Ds absolutely loves his food but the need to throw or bang things seems to overtake.
Went out for lunch today and he cannot be within a foot of anything plate or cutlery related.
I physically held the bowl earlier and it became a strength battle that he won shock

Tigercake Sat 20-Dec-14 21:43:49

Yes, they all get it in the end. 9 yr old now relatively civilised (doesn't drop much down front or on floor, can use cutlery etc). 7 yr old eats off plate with cutlery, but needs reminding to hold them in the correct hand, spills food off plate and fidgets so much some still goes on the floor, 5 yr old good with cutlery, but drops it on the floor regularly (cutlery not food). 2 year old pretty great with cutlery and not to messy eating mostly. All blw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now