Talk

Advanced search

Have anybody's fussy toddlers turned into good eaters when older?

(4 Posts)
dodi1978 Tue 25-Nov-14 22:34:03

Just that really... 16 month old DS is a bit choosy on his food, although not terribly bad. He is starch boy, will demolish any bread, pasta and potatoes offered, but can be funny about meat and vegetables (although he does eat some).

We don't make a big deal out of it because it seems he is healthy and happy, but I'd be great if he turned back into the 'I eat anything' sort of kid he used to be when younger.

ocelot41 Tue 25-Nov-14 22:43:48

Yep. It was a phase here...a very LONG phase! But DS is now 4 and has long since passed the 'I will only eat bread' and the 'I will only eat things placed separately on the plate' and even the 'Any sauce is clearly poisonous' phase.

When he is older (like 3 ish) if he is still really picky, try getting him a personalised chefs hat and apron and getting him to throw the ingredients in. That helps. There are also games which are about the ingredients that go into food. But mainly its just time passing. Sorry, it can be quite a LOT of time though....

dodi1978 Wed 26-Nov-14 10:43:10

Oh well, there is hope then! Thanks, OCELOT! To be honest, he is better than most kids, and once he can speak and understand more, he can probably be bribed a bit (eat a spoonful of this and get more of that and that sort of thing...).

catlass Sun 30-Nov-14 08:23:03

Yes don't dispair! My almost 3 year old went through a loooong phase from around 1 yr-2.5 where she would only eat breadsticks, toast, blueberries, tinned spaghetti and yoghurt. I pre-empted her getting scurvy with fruit pouches and vitamin drops. She wouldn't even drink milk.

Now at almost 3 she is a great eater (bar the milk, still won't drink it). This changed literally overnight. She will eat all meals put on front of her and devours fruit and veg for snacks. I worried about her poor eating a lot. But we didn't pay it any attention. Even when she started eating things we didn't make a thing of it calling her a good girl or anything.

Hope that helps a bit, I know how frustrating it is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now