Talk

Advanced search

BLW - not eating anything - normal?

(4 Posts)
blushingmare Thu 20-Nov-14 18:45:36

DS is 6mo and we started weaning about 3 weeks ago. I've been experimenting with a combination of finger foods and purees and he's by far the happiest with the finger foods. With purees he won't let me spoon it in - just grabs the spoon and flings most of it around the kitchen, whereas he is quite interested in taking some foods to his mouth and having a go at sucking/gnawing them. However, he's not eating anything at all - he just spits it out or if it makes it far enough back, gags it out (and sometimes makes himself sick). Poos haven't changed at all.

He is quite interested and happy for about 5 minutes and then very quickly becomes a screaming mess, which is a bit of a pain as we still need to sit with DD while she finishes (and she is the slowest eater in the world!)

Is this all normal? I was quite happy with him doing it for the first few weeks, but am starting to get a bit impatient now! If he's going to make such a mess the whole time, it would be nice to think he was actually eating something!

Tbh, if it's not normal, there's bugger all I can do about it as can't spoonfeed him purees in any case! Just looking for a bit of reassurance and to know when other BLWers started swallowing.

306235388 Thu 20-Nov-14 18:47:50

Totally normal ime and if it makes you feel better my blw baby ( now 4) is by far a better eater than her purée fed brother. I think she's naturally more inquisitive and interested in food.

306235388 Thu 20-Nov-14 18:48:35

Oh and I'd guess dd was maybe 7 months? Still regularly made herself sick after that though for a good while. It's fab! wink

FayFajericalFudgeFace Thu 20-Nov-14 19:00:38

Yep completely normal, I can't remember when DS started swallowing enough to change his poo, but it wasn't until about 9 months that something clicked and he started eating to satisfy hunger. When they first start its all about experimenting with taste and texture.
With BLW it seems like more faff and mess at the start, but once it clicks, you actually skip a whole palaver that purée fed babies have of learning to deal with lumps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now