Talk

Advanced search

Cows milk in porridge for 8 month old

(10 Posts)
midnight1983 Tue 18-Nov-14 08:52:35

My little boy loves his porridge in the morning and I have always used the Aptamil ones as you just add water. I want to introduce some variety and all the other ones seem to use milk. I could use formula but that seems like a bit of a faff - can you use cows milk, warmed or cold?

Cannotbelieveit Tue 18-Nov-14 14:22:20

Whole cows milk is fine in cooking/cereals from 6 months grin

quesadillas Tue 18-Nov-14 14:24:41

Agreed, I used milk with my DS for food from 6 months.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 18-Nov-14 14:28:47

at that age mine had weetabix or ready brek made with cows milk

midnight1983 Tue 18-Nov-14 14:50:54

Thanks for the replies - this will be much easier! Do you have to cook the milk, so to speak, or give warmed or even cold?

ZenNudist Tue 18-Nov-14 14:53:27

Just use while milk and ordinary porridge oats. No need to buy baby versions.

A few frozen berries cool porridge quickly and add flavour/ extra vitamins. I have blueberry and forest fruits on the d

ElphabaTheGreen Tue 18-Nov-14 14:54:06

Don't by the Aptamil stuff - total waste of money. Ready Brek or Weeta Bix as a PP said, using cow's milk as you would on your own cereal - hot or cold.

EmbarrassedPossessed Tue 18-Nov-14 14:58:45

I just used to buy ordinary oats, and used whole cow's milk. Made ordinary porridge - eg cooked in a pan on the hob. When my DS was little I used to blend the oats first in a mini blender to make a smoother porridge.

A mashed banana/grated apple/raspberries/squashed blueberries etc could be added for flavour, colour and variety.

AwesomeSuperTasty Tue 18-Nov-14 15:01:40

Yes, cow's milk is fine. My HV said this too and something about not using formula in porridge as formula is like a full meal (or something).

Nothing wrong with baby porridge if that's what your kid likes. My son still doesn't like proper porridge but loves aptamil mixed with Organix baby muesli (which I use like porridge), with warm milk. My most successful porridge mix also features cinnamon and raspberries.

Spindelina Fri 21-Nov-14 10:08:09

After many a morning trying to calm crying DD waiting for her porridge to cool down, I've discovered she isn't fussed about it being cooked. She is perfectly happy with oats mixed with cold (cows) milk. Might be worth a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now