Talk

Advanced search

Aitch! Aitch! Help me! Other BLWers too.

(7 Posts)
nevercackle Mon 17-Nov-14 17:08:20

The latest spawning is now almost 8 months and has four lovely teeth. Going for combined spooning in the slop with proper food as a starter.

But he wants me to hold his food up to his mouth for him.

He's sits there with his arms off to the side like a little penguin while i hold the gradually more mushy banana or whatever. He will hold the drier stuff himself but would rather have his staff hold the messy stuff. hmm

...and the whole weaning process makes me gag. blush

i don't want to go down the lines of the mesh bag nonsense as it defeats the purpose and they dont clean properly anyway.

what to do?

BeginnersLuck Mon 17-Nov-14 17:18:21

You could chop 'slippery' foods with a crinkle cutter, or roll them in ground flaxseed. Bananas can be split into 3 lengthwise in a way that is less slimy.
Or just stick with dry food he can eat himself for a while and try other things in a few weeks?
Nothing worth stressing about - I've never heard of anyone failing to learn how to put food in their mouth! But try not to let him pick up on any anxiety!

nevercackle Mon 17-Nov-14 17:24:27

is flaxseed soft? or crunchy?

he really enjoyed the banana though, it's just that i had to sit there holding it while he chowed down. bless him.

BeginnersLuck Wed 19-Nov-14 08:09:33

Ground flaxseed isn't crunchy.

BigWLittleJ Thu 27-Nov-14 22:50:38

My 2.4 year old did that at a similar age to your son. Up until he was about 15 months he hated getting his hands dirty. It took him until about 11 months to hold wet/sticky foods by himself and even then he wasn't happy about it. On the plus side he learnt to use cutlery really early and is a very neat eater now. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but you're not alone x

nevercackle Fri 28-Nov-14 11:27:49

thank you, i keep forgetting to look for a crinkle cutter. there wasn't one in sainsbury's so will keep looking.

Littlef00t Fri 28-Nov-14 19:59:51

What would happen if you stripped him to his nappy and put him on the floor a little before meal time with loads of finger food? So he doesn't see it as a meal to be fed, but as a game?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now