Talk

Advanced search

Breakfast ideas for dairy intolerant baby

(14 Posts)
Lostinspace1 Fri 14-Nov-14 09:20:32

Currently stuck in a rut at the moment feeding 10m baby fruit puree with half a weetabix crumbled in for breakfast.

I need ideas please! I'm also looking for something more filling/long lasting in the tummy as I'm not sure this is enough for him. He always finishes everything.

Thanks!

BookTart Fri 14-Nov-14 09:32:01

10mo DD has CMPA and eats half a Weetabix with soya/coconut milk, banana, toast with Pure spread and marmite or peanut butter, and sometimes dry Cheerios. Not very inspired I know, but she refuses egg in all its delicious forms!

SachaF Fri 14-Nov-14 10:33:24

I was given soya infant formula from the doctors (also available to purchase) which I would then make porridge with. At the time I was told not to use normal soya milk until 2 years old unless it was small amounts in family cooking. (Gluten free for us) toast as well as they can self feed soldiers. Plus at that age mine still breast fed in the morning so probably 6-8 ounces of milk.

ByTheWishingWell Fri 14-Nov-14 10:35:18

Can he eat eggs?

BookTart Fri 14-Nov-14 17:28:17

DD's nutritionist told me soya milk was okay, and that the studies suggesting to avoid it were small and carried out on mice. Who knows though! I know rice milk is out as a main drink though.
Just remembered that DD has crumpets and bagels too sometimes.

littleducks Fri 14-Nov-14 17:36:30

I used coconut milk first but ds prefers shots. i buy the junior 1+ version which is suitable according to packaging as main milk from 1 so possibly as an ingredient in food before 1 like cows milk?

abigboydidit Fri 14-Nov-14 22:11:44

DS had a cow's milk protein allergy and (still has) an egg allergy and lived on weetabix/porridge with oat milk or "a dry bowl" of other cereal for year. A great treat at weekends was the jus-roll pain au chocolate which are surprisingly dairy free. Clearly I traumatised him though as now he will only accept toast and spread hmm

Lostinspace1 Fri 14-Nov-14 23:37:08

Thanks everyone.

Not sure about egg as last time he vomited and they said the only way to be really sure is to feed it to him again and see what happens. Not keen on the clear up...

Seems like we're all stuck in the weetabix/toast rut!

My LO is CMPA too and I've got the special formula (not soya, the other one), just not sure if I can cook with it. Would love to make porridge. Need to go back to the dietician I think...hope this is a short phase!

Isabeller Fri 14-Nov-14 23:41:09

Mashed avocado & baby rice

Porridge made with water with fruit

rice cake and peanut butter

bagel sounds nice smile

Flingingmelon Fri 14-Nov-14 23:51:42

My DS was dairy intolerant and we used to make delicious porridge and also pancakes with coconut milk. Lovely with mango.

However he was perfectly happy with a bottle, a banana and a hot cross bun with pure spread on it most mornings. I think we worry about varying their breakfast a heck of a lot more than we do wink

Flingingmelon Fri 14-Nov-14 23:53:19

Ooh and from one our dietician said alpro +1 was a totally acceptable cows milk alternative (assuming your LO hasn't got a soya allergy obvs.)

SweetTeaVodka Sat 15-Nov-14 07:10:20

My CMPA daughter is now 21 months, her breakfast options are generally:

"Fruity porridge" - 4 or 5 tablespoons of porridge oats mixed with a fruit pot or some smoothie and microwaved for 30 secs
Fruity porridge fingers - the above but pressed flat into the base of a dish, microwaved for a it longer, cut when hot into fingers and left to cool - cheats flapjacks!
Dippy egg with soldiers
Eggy bread
Toast with vitalite, jam or peanut butter
Fresh fruit with a soya yoghurt
Naughty but a yummy treat - Poptarts (the strawberry, cherry and apple ones are df)

She won't eat cereal, dry or "wet". Hope that helps smile

JennaRainbow Sun 16-Nov-14 08:04:06

We use almond milk, ecomil brand for porridge. Scrambled herby eggs are a big hit too. Soya really isn't brilliant for women, really bad for reproductive systems, so it really should be avoided if poss, especially in babies.

LostMySocks Wed 19-Nov-14 19:51:28

Phone the customer care line on the allergy formula. They will confirm its ok for cooking and probably send you a recipe book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now