Talk

Advanced search

1 year old: milk/nursery/bottle/cup advise please

(4 Posts)
Babytalkobsession Sat 01-Nov-14 19:53:16

Hi everyone, I'm really struggling to know what to do with DS's milk. He's 1 next week.

He currently bf as and when throughout the day. This is usually first thing, mid morning before nap and mid afternoon before nap. Sometimes after nap too but only a comfort feed. None of these feeds are what I would call 'proper feeds', but he's never been a long feeder. He has a bottle of formula before bed (usuLly drinks 7oz). This sounds a lot but he is a snacker so I don't think the volume is an issue.

He eats a variety of foods well.

He's starting nursery 4 days a week in a couple of weeks. I just don't know what to ask them to do for milk.

I'm thinking:
7ish Bottle at home (whole cows)
Breakfast at nursery
Snack at nursery
Lunch at nursery
Cup of whole milk mid aft
Bf when we get home around 4:30
Tea then bottle before bed

He will drink whole milk (tried a little this week) and he'll take a cup but only has a few sips whereas a bottle he'll take a proper amount.

Does this seem ok? I intended to skip bottles but worried about the volume he takes from a cup.

I'd like to stop bf soon but don't want to force it with him starting nursery and it's handy when he wakes in the night.

Thanks in advance

EmbarrassedPossessed Sun 02-Nov-14 01:35:06

Are you wanting to cut down on breastfeeding to one feed a day? I'm wondering why you want to swap to a bottle of cows milk first thing when you could stick with a breastfeed?

I would think that your DS would be fine at nursery with water and snacks, and then breastfeed as normal when at home.

There's no actual need for them to have a specific volume of cows milk. The recommendations are to have 300ml a day as this covers the calcium requirements that they need, in a convenient and cheap form. However if they are having breastfeeds and other sources of calcium in their food, then there's no need to worry about getting cows milk into them particularly.

It seems unnecessary to introduce another bottle in the morning when bottles are meant to be reduced and removed from 1 year.

Babytalkobsession Sun 02-Nov-14 10:54:57

Thanks embarrassed I know what you mean about introducing another bottle but I suppose I'm just feeling like id like to gently start offering an alternative to bf. He's asking for it all the time by lying down on my lap or pulling at my top and tbh I've just had enough.

I wondered if offering a bottle then would help wean him off me and then I could work on weaning off bottle & on to a cup... I don't know. I originally set out to feed until 1 then move onto a cup but it seems too big a leap now, especially with him starting nursery at the same time.

Confused.

LostMySocks Fri 07-Nov-14 22:45:45

My little boy started nursery 4 weeks ago. We were in a similar position but only 3 breast feeds a day: first thing, afternoon and bedtime. I decided to swap afternoon for s mug of milk (tried to swap for a snack but he definitely wanted milk). Morning feed had started getting shorter but i don't want to stop completely at the same time as starting nursery. I'm hoping to wean off morning feed by Christmas and then evening a bit later. The bedtime one is the one he really loves. But he will take a mug of milk if I go out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now