Talk

Advanced search

Quantities? Too much or not enough?

(5 Posts)
badfurday Fri 31-Oct-14 20:54:46

I'm struggling a bit with qualities for my nearly 7 month old. She has 4x8oz of milk during the day, no night feeds. I'm introducing foods to her but not sure how much to give?

I'm mainly trying her on Ella's kitchen pouches and she generally has one a day spaced out over two sessions. Is this ok? Not enough? Too much?
I give her finger foods like bread sticks, rusks etc which she sort of sucks on, But she doesn't seem very interested.
I see all the other posts from people saying their children have porridge for breakfast, toast for lunch etc. But are they having a proper portion!?!

God this is so confusing and scary. Don't think I'm doing it right. sad

badfurday Fri 31-Oct-14 20:57:57

I should add to that, I offer her 8oz, sometimes she downs it and sometimes has only 5 oz. I would say she has about 25-28oz a day.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Fri 31-Oct-14 21:07:14

They all do it at their own pace. DD didn't start eating decent quantities until about 9 months, she's now 11 months and having 3 'good meals'. Until 12 months the majority of their calories should come from milk. Keep offering finger foods and pouches if that's what's easiest for you. She will gradually start to eat more and consequently have less milk. I stressed a lot as other babies from my NCY group seemed to be eating full meals at 6 months but she has caught up now!

BackToTheFuschia Fri 31-Oct-14 21:15:18

DS1 is just over 6 months, but we started weaning about 4 weeks ago so just thought I'd share our experiences so far!
I would say that today, DS1 'had porridge for breakfast' although in reality he had a few mouthfuls.
I would say that yesterday, 'he had toast' although in reality he actually sucked as much butter off as he could and then launched the rest on the floor.
I guess I'm saying take what others say with a handful pinch of salt!
Some days he'll eat loads, ie a whole pouch in a sitting, but days like today he'll eat a few mouthfuls at breakfast, as much sweet fruit as I'll offer and a mouthful of dinner, but plenty of milk still.
Some finger foods he's not interested in, others he can't get enough of!
I agree with inittowinit she'll eat at her own rate, I'd just keep offering as you are and eventually she'll get to grips with eating.

EmbarrassedPossessed Sun 02-Nov-14 01:40:29

The NHS suggest that you should be moving to 3 meals a day by around 8 to 9 months. A portion size is the size of their clenched fist, so quite small really. I don't know how much is in a pouch, but it doesn't sound unreasonable for a 7 month old.

With regard to the finger food, they often can take a while to get the hang of it, so don't be dispirited if it is met with disinterest. Keep offering and she'll learn to self feed. Try a colorful variety of things with different textures and think of it like a play/learning experience more than a meal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now